Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodachrome

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've been having one last fling with Kodachrome (64, 35mm) and it's been regularly available from both B&H and Adorama. I've been sending it to Dwayne's and they have been giving excellent and quick turn-around service. I pulled up the page for Rocky Mountain, but they charge an arm and a leg and take forever and a day.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    The weirdest thing with Canada is that when I send 35mm K64 for development, they have to ship it to Switzerland instead of sending it to Dwayne's. Apparently it's on their shipping route for other stuff, but if Swiss Kodak is shutting down, it will have to be Dwayne for me.

Hi Michel,

I have not sent out any 35mm K64 for some time, but I have both "prepaid" (with mailers) and "unpaid processing" rolls to send. It is interesting that the 35mm goes to Switzerland as well. I had better get at it, since the prepaid ones may not be valid after August 1 - although I have not heard that specifically from Kodak. It costs me $1.85 plus GST to mail Super8 cartridges in the prepaid mailers. Shoppers Drug Mart had a drop off program which was free for "processing included" film - although one had to get the clerk at the in-store mini-lab to look it up in their price binder. I used this service while visiting Winnipeg. Since I live in the NT (TNO), this option is not available.

I see that Henrys has KODAK KR 135-36PNI (BOXED/SINGLE)64 ISO in stock $11.99. I assume the PNI means processing not included. Nothing on the Vistek site. Don's photo lists KODACHROME 64 (36 Exp.) $8.63 processing not included, shipping 3-7 days, not available in store. Shipping is about the same for either store.

Do you know of other Canadian sources for Kodachrome 35mm? I am getting keen to shoot some more.

But, getting back to nworth's question, all I can say is shoot it while you can. I was completely blind-sided by the discontinuation of Super8 Kodachrome.

On the plus side, quite a bit of 16mm Kodachrome is still being used, it is just the prepaid processing that has been discontinued, and if B&H is still selling a lot of 35mm, there is hope. Now, if only someone had K25.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Clarence,

I haven't found any store in Montreal that sold Kodachrome with processing included. Most places store K64, but some may also have K200. Problem is that the stuff sells for a good 12$ a piece plus another 16$ for processing. 30$ with the taxes for a roll of film is quite a setback. I was lucky to find someone on APUG who was getting rid of a stash of K64 for 1$ a roll ! It sits in my freezer now, and I compared it with fresh kodachrome from the store and there isn't much of a difference between the two. K64 + processing costs me therefore more or less the same price as buying E6 and paying for processing.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi Michel,

Thanks for the info. I think you will find that the Kodachrome is quite stable if frozen.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cutoff Date

I seem to remember reading some time ago that the production of the chemistry for K14 was mandated to be discontinued in 2008 (?) due to toxicity issues. Does anyone else remember seeing something like this. IIRC this was a USA/Kodak decision.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any one remeber paul simon's "kodachrome" and the mention of a nikon camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by genecrumpler
    Any one remeber paul simon's "kodachrome" and the mention of a nikon camera?
    Yup. I've got an Ogg Vorbis file of it on my computer, created from a CD. (Ogg Vorbis is a file format like MP3.) The first few chords of it go through my head whenever I see this thread.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    [QUOTE=CRhymer]
    Don's photo lists KODACHROME 64 (36 Exp.) $8.63 processing not included, shipping 3-7 days, not available in store. Shipping is about the same for either store.
    Hey I'm the guy that orders film for the store in downtown Winnipeg, and so far it's always available in store. Although some weeks I do need the club with the BIG spike to remind purchasing that the entire world hasn't shifted to ones and zeros.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    I seem to remember reading some time ago that the production of the chemistry for K14 was mandated to be discontinued in 2008 (?) due to toxicity issues. Does anyone else remember seeing something like this. IIRC this was a USA/Kodak decision.
    I'd contact Dwayne's directly to be sure - I've not seen anything like this to date.

- Randy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    [QUOTE=Cooki]
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer
    Don's photo lists KODACHROME 64 (36 Exp.) $8.63 processing not included, shipping 3-7 days, not available in store. Shipping is about the same for either store.
    Hey I'm the guy that orders film for the store in downtown Winnipeg, and so far it's always available in store. Although some weeks I do need the club with the BIG spike to remind purchasing that the entire world hasn't shifted to ones and zeros.

Hi Cooki,

Good news. I am in Winnipeg about 3 times a year, next time in August/September. I'll come and check it out. I see that the website shows Tri-x 120 and 220 in stock. Do you also stock them in your store at 410 Portage?

Cheers,
    Clarence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin