Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,819   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodachrome

Kodak has announced the termination of Kodachrome processing for Super 8 and 16mm motion picture film. I wonder how long 35mm Kodacheome has to go.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/ab...chrome06.jhtml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has announced that THEY will no longer process K-14 S8 and 16mm anymore. However, Dwayne's photo lab STILL does and WILL continue to do so. See their site:

http://www.k-14movies.com/

Given that there are three K-14 labs in the world (the other two are in Switzerland and Japan), there is still a way to get kodachrome developped, as those labs are businesses independent of Eastman Kodak.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    In addition to the three K-14 labs mhv mentions, for a while Kodak also produced a "K-Lab processor," which was a small K-14 processing unit. (I believe it was minilab sized, but I'm not positive of that.) I don't know how many of these are still in operation, but if any are still being used, that increases options for K-14 processing. I don't know offhand what film formats they take.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I was unaware that the lab in Switzerland is independent of Eastman Kodak. I am in Canada, and Super8 Kodachrome was sold here "processing included". A few years ago the film went via Kodak in Toronto to the US to be processed (handled by Qualex - a subsidiary of Kodak - as I recall). More recently my film has been returning from Switzerland. I believe it is the lab in Lausanne that is being shut down in September - therefore requiring that all prepaid Kodachrome Super8 and 16mm be in Kodak's hands by August 1, 2006. I was getting a little restless this spring, because Kodak originally announced the discontinuation of Super8 Kodachrome last May, and there were various reports of the final date for processing. I had bought up some remaining stock to shoot an event late June, 2006 and am relieved that I will still be able to get it processed for "free". Thank goodness that Dwayne's will be processing Kodachrome for some time to come, but since I have paid for the processing already, I don't want to have to pay again, plus the expense of return shipping. As I see it, Kodachrome 16mm is still being produced and can be processed by Dwayne's. This is good. For customers in the US it is probably a different issue, since Kodak stopped selling processing included Kodachrome a long time ago, due to a competition ruling.

I have also noticed that Kodacrhome 35mm film has been sold in Canada - when one can find it - without processing included for the last few years. I think Kodak just wants to get out of the processing business. It makes me wonder how long Kodak will honour the prepaid 35mm Kodachrome processing - now slightly out of date, but still very usable. Perhaps I'll give them a call.

There is an article in Small Format Magazine about the Swiss Kodachrome facility. I have a copy, but I am not sure if there will ever be a second issue. I got a slip of paper promoting it with a processed roll of Super8 Kodachrome from Lausanne a few months ago.

Here is the URL
    http://www.atollmedien.de/smallformat/

I have no connection with this publication - other than buying one copy.

Please advise if any of this is incorrect.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't think there are any K-Labs still running, and my impression is that Kodak Switzerland has made an announcement that they are going to start to wind down K-14 operations by August, if I'm not mistaken (check announcements which were posted on www.filmshooting.com). I don't know about Japan, but other than that, pretty soon it's just going to be Dwayne's. In the Americas Kodachrome processing, even through Kodak, has been subcontracted to Dwayne's for some time now.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rocky Mountain Film Lab in Aurora, CO is still listing that they do most older films(over 30 years) and newer films (under 30 years) including K-14 movie & Slide films

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/index.html

Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    ...In the Americas Kodachrome processing, even through Kodak, has been subcontracted to Dwayne's for some time now.
    Hi David,

I never know if Canada is included in the Americas, but my Super8 Kodachrome is definitely being processed in Switzerland (in the last year or so). Or at least the return portion of the mailer comes by Priority Post, Swiss Post, cancellation stamp PP Lausanne, Kodak Photo Service SA, CH-1020 Renens. Before it used to be returned from a US address. It wasn't Dwayne's address, but may have been a Qualex collection point or the tag end of the US Kodak labs. At any rate, it is pretty academic now, and I believe you are right that Dwayne's is now or soon will be the only place left.

As for Rock Mountain Film (Dave's post) - maybe it would be simpler if we were all called Dave - I compared the prices on their site to Dwayne's

Rocky Mountain:
    Super8 K14 (50ft roll) $23.50 plus $4.00 shipping(per order/not roll)
    16mm $0.49 per foot plus $4.00 shipping(per order/not roll)
    K14 slide $23.50 per roll (no 120) plus $4.00 shipping(per order/not roll)

Dwayne's:
    Super8 K14 (50ft roll) $9.00 plus shipping by mail, UPS ground, FedEx extra
    16mm $25.00 per 100 foot roll
    K14 slide $6.00/24 exp. $8.50/36 exp. plus $5.00 shipping for the first roll and $0.25 per additional.

Maybe I am missing something here (not unusual), but Dwayne's seems to be by far the better deal. However, if you have other than K14 Rocky Mountain Film or Film Rescue International are about it. Please advise me if there are others.

Rocky Mountain still has their K-Lab processor for sale:

http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/equipment/klab.htm

Here's the manual (it is 35mm)

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...als/z50_02.pdf

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth
    I wonder how long 35mm Kodachrome has to go.
    Maybe a while yet. Home movies went over to tape twenty years before still photography went digital.

A salesman at B&H told me the 35mm Kodachrome still sells well. It doesn't generate much buzz, but evidently must have a loyal following. Plus it's an icon of American culture. I'd be surprised to see Kodak give up the name recognition of Kodachrome, until it gets too expensive to support.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer
    I was unaware that the lab in Switzerland is independent of Eastman Kodak. ....
    Oups, my mistake. I double-checked on Kodak's site and the Swiss lab is a Kodak one. Dwayne is an independent, and the Japanese one is called Horiuchi Color Lab, Co, which doesn't sound like EK.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The weirdest thing with Canada is that when I send 35mm K64 for development, they have to ship it to Switzerland instead of sending it to Dwayne's. Apparently it's on their shipping route for other stuff, but if Swiss Kodak is shutting down, it will have to be Dwayne for me.

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin