Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,333   Online: 707

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find advertising for Kodak and Fuji professional films in some publications. Mostly those are the more professional (working) photographer oriented publications, such as PDN, Picture, Rangefinder, or a handful of other titles.

Kodak made an attempt at selling a Professional Portra 400UC recently through non-photo store outlets like Walmart and Target. I feel that since this is a C-41 film, and that it was not refrigerated, that the Professional wording on the boxes was marketing. I don't think it went over well, since it seemed to have disappeared after a few months. I rarely ever use C-41 films, so no big deal for me, even though I find great food deals at Target.

It would be nice for someone in the Marketing and Communications department at Fuji or Kodak actually make a posting here. I suspect that advertising certain products is kept low due to some perceptions they might have about who buys certain products. Maybe APUG can put together a film user survey that might actually help keep some products in circulation? There are over 12000 members here, though I rarely see many responses to poll questions.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a Fuji "professional" 6x9 enlarger for printing. It says it on its head. But it can be as professional as it is sold to photo students, pro labs, and all other high-end amateurs, and some professional photographers for their darkrooms.

It's certainly built well, but does it justify to be a pro model? I don't know. I'll find out in a long term use.

My Fujinon EX enlarging lenses are widely used including by the people in the medical field, which has always been a big market for Fuji also. But these lenses don't have the "professional" labeling of any kind.

The Neopan rolls I have are only labeled as "Fuji Film", and so are the Provia ones. It's good that I don't necessarily keep my films in a fridge all the time.

What else do I have? Oh, I have a Fuji portable small light table, which says, "Fuji Color."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    I didn't think I was a professional, though some of the pros I know have suggested it.
    Let me phrase it - Just because your filim is professional, doesn't mean that you have to be.

Actually, I think Darr came closest to answering. "Professional" has a specific meaning for the manufacturing, aging, and storage of the films, even at the retailer level. It's not meant to scare off amatuers.

You should write Kodak marketing and tell them the film needs to say "Professional Grade, but good enough for amatuers" instead...

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    Actually, I think Darr came closest to answering. "Professional" has a specific meaning for the manufacturing, aging, and storage of the films, even at the retailer level. It's not meant to scare off amatuers.
    And yet when I pick up Plus-X or Acros at the camera store, it is not in the fridge with the real professional films. I think both companies have lost sight of a significant chunk of the market, the same portion from which APUG draws some members.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    And yet when I pick up Plus-X or Acros at the camera store, it is not in the fridge with the real professional films.
    Huh!? It is at my camera store. Well, walk in climate controlled room.

But then it's called Pro Photo Supply (Portland, OR).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin