Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,675   Online: 785

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    they sold 5 MILLION FILM CAMERAS!!!! And yet they are still bailing out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It sounds like they are going to continue producing film cameras as long as there is a demand, hopefully there will continue to be sufficient demand for many years.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film's not dead, only the the thing that holds it. We will see much more of this in the near future, it's an evolving industry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    They are not stopping production, they are stopping research and development. To be honest I can't see what improvements could be made to a modern SLR, the lenses yes, but not the bodies.
    I can think of one, and it's minor. Put a DSLR like LCD on the back that projects what would normally be in the eyepiece. For us near-sighted folk who have such problems with those.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They were trying to make film bodies with the same design as digital bodies, having oversized display screens on the back. ..simple cost cutting.

Have Hasselblads changed that much over the years? They made manual cameras long into the AF era and companies are still producing new rangefinders, so who cares? Don't panic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Who needs a new 35mm cameras? I just picked up a used ELAN 7 for less than the price of a new Rebel.

Besides, who cares about the camera? The camera just holds the film and exposes it. The lenses will continue to made for dSLRs. And Canon will have to produce EF lenses for it's full frame and 1.3x crop cameras, which can't take the newer EF-S lenses..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000
    Who needs a new 35mm cameras? I just picked up a used ELAN 7 for less than the price of a new Rebel.

Besides, who cares about the camera? The camera just holds the film and exposes it. The lenses will continue to made for dSLRs. And Canon will have to produce EF lenses for it's full frame and 1.3x crop cameras, which can't take the newer EF-S lenses..
    Well I do think it's an issue. If your average happy snapper goes to buy a new camera because their old 35mm SLR died, they will be sold a digital camera. I think that is dissapointing, and it's a shame that a new 35mm film camera will probably not be a choice for anyone in the near future, unless you really search for one.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel B
    Well I do think it's an issue. If your average happy snapper goes to buy a new camera because their old 35mm SLR died, they will be sold a digital camera.
    You are right .... While Canon has said they will continue making 35mm SLRs, the technology will be stagnant; one more thing to make the digital cameras look newer and more appealing.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    You are right .... While Canon has said they will continue making 35mm SLRs, the technology will be stagnant; one more thing to make the digital cameras look newer and more appealing.
    That's what I felt, too when I read the statement by the company's new head. Basically he said the the photo industry (but he clearly said of the "publishing" field, more for advertising) has shifted to the digital gears, and that's what the decision was based on.

That's just not good for many of us.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Unfortunately thats probably true from joe-blo consumers point of view.

I do always try to point out to people that film cameras are essentially "software"
    using devices that deliver better images with better film, and that my vintage cameras are capable of making better pictures than when they were new, because of advances in film technology.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin