Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,080   Online: 997

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel B
    Well I do think it's an issue. If your average happy snapper goes to buy a new camera because their old 35mm SLR died, they will be sold a digital camera. I think that is dissapointing, and it's a shame that a new 35mm film camera will probably not be a choice for anyone in the near future, unless you really search for one.
    I think a lot of them are attached to their old SLR and would try to get it fixed.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think camera makers prefer by far to sell DSLR rather tha film SLR. They are directing the market into a certain path. As a matter of fact, digital has been the goose with the golden eggs for camera industry. I shot more than 15 years with 1 contax camera body, then in the last 4 years I had to upgrade 4 DSLRs, all priced well beyound my good old contax. Actually this is the main reason why I switched back to film. I was sick of giving my money away to canon.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film SLRs, any chance they will start making rangefinders again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a number of Ranger Finder Cameras in 35mm.

See Steve Gandy's site www.cameraquest.com

Personally, I don't plan to ever shoot 35mm again. I love MF and have several 120 cameras. I'm now collecting 4x5 gear.

Gene

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Modern Rangefinders? I'm shocked!

Apparently jokes have to be labelled as such. Of course, given the Zeiss Ikon, anything is possible. Who, in 1998, would have predicted that in eight years you would have as great a range of choice in 35mm rangefinders as SLRs?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "Canon will continue making film cameras already on the market as long as their demand remains. Whether to withdraw from the film camera business will be "decided appropriately by judging the market situation," said Canon spokesman Hiroshi Yoshinaga." - from the article.

A couple of reasons I think that this is not a real big deal. One, how much more technically advanced can a film slr be? At this point, Canon (and others) would have to spend a lot more money for a marginal improvements to a very sophisticated established design. Doesn't really make economic sense to spend a lot on a small improvement.

Secondly, there are all sorts of film cameras out there now for all the film photographers. In previous posts I have drawn the analogy of film cameras to the market for American Cars in Cuba. All the American Cars in Cuba are already there (and been there for about fifty years!). The drivers and mechanics just keep those old cars running. So it is with film cameras. As pointed out by previous posters, used gear is quite reasonably priced. The real worry is qualified repair technicians to keep the film cameras working.

Like all good things. You will be able to find good film cameras, you just may not be able to do it easily.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    they sold 5 MILLION FILM CAMERAS!!!! And yet they are still bailing out.
    Those are the combined totals for all Japanese camera makers, not just Canon.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's not a helluva lot of research and development that will improve the film cameras already available. I mean, really, has there been a better 35mm SLR film camera built since the Nikon F2 or Canon F1 or Olympus OM1 or Pentax Spotmatic or Minolta SRT?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since Nikon has given up the race and is selling only 2 film cameras as is, there is no point in Canon pouring money into the race. My guess is that Canon will also trim the product line. I just hope they have enough sense to keep 3 levels. Nikon hurt themselves, I think killing off the F100. They probably did so because they felt it was stealing sales from the much more expensive F6. Arrogant, IMO.

I agree with the stated opinions that the film cameras are as good as they need to be anyway, perhaps too much technology. I don't use much of the stuff on my Canon EOS10 as it is. And that's an old body, a cut-down economy version of the EOS1. All it has to do is handle the film - the lens and the photographer does the rest!

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a user of well cared for pre-loved camera gear as anyone who met me at the APUG Conference will attest. The camera manufacturers love digital for its rapid obselescance, I have a friend who shoots weddings and some editorial work and she is pissed that she has to upgrade every two to three years. Me, I am content to play with my Nikon F2, f, Nikkormat, Leica M3, OM-1, Spotmatic II/F, you get the idea.
    I am content as long as there are techs who can fix the stuff.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin