Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,432   Online: 854

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,
    Who is still doing it. Tri color has (I believed) stoped, Titan or Pastel?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-Color has stopped most from what I hear (not checked directly). Titan and Pastel are both offering color services, only Pastel is still offering B&W. I spoke with Jerry at Pastel. He recently replaced all EK color processes with Fuji - had some difficulties with EK, so far is pleased with Fuji service.

Bob
    Last edited by Lopaka; 05-31-2006 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I haven't heard anyone mention the SCA in years. I have some friends that went there. And the portfolio center is still going strong. As for the Virginia Highlands area it just keeps getting better, only more expensive and more traffic.
    I think Neil Chaput de Saintonge closed SCA a few years after I left to run his Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Montana full time. I was asked back then (late 80's/early 90's) if I was interested in teaching in Montana in the summer, but I had to pass.

Portfolio Center was a great school to attend if you were interested in a career in advertising photography. You shot only 4x5, learned how to build props and style all your shots. I was majoring in food photography so styling was a big deal to me. I learned how to put lipstick on the tomatoes and all kinds of "yummy" tricks. It was challenging, but worth the expensive price tag. Thanks for the info on Virgina Highlands. My friends tell me the same thing about traffic and prices.

Best,
    Darr
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by darr
    I think Neil Chaput de Saintonge closed SCA a few years after I left to run his Rocky Mountain School of Photography in Montana full time. I was asked back then (late 80's/early 90's) if I was interested in teaching in Montana in the summer, but I had to pass.

Portfolio Center was a great school to attend if you were interested in a career in advertising photography. You shot only 4x5, learned how to build props and style all your shots. I was majoring in food photography so styling was a big deal to me. I learned how to put lipstick on the tomatoes and all kinds of "yummy" tricks. It was challenging, but worth the expensive price tag. Thanks for the info on Virgina Highlands. My friends tell me the same thing about traffic and prices.

Best,
    Darr
    I think Neil was hitting on several people in the region to teach or work ther in the summer.

Do you know Craig Tanner?

I've heard good and bad things about the Portfolio Center. I think a lot of the emphasis is working with digital now which makes sense for commercial work.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I think Neil was hitting on several people in the region to teach or work ther in the summer.

Do you know Craig Tanner?

I've heard good and bad things about the Portfolio Center. I think a lot of the emphasis is working with digital now which makes sense for commercial work.
    No, I do not know Craig Tanner, but I did have a "Craig" in my photo business class at SCA. The Craig I knew was teaching at Showcase a few years ago. From SCA/PC/PPA I knew Kevin Hyde, Kathy Wolfe, Kevin Ames, Jim DiVitale, Ray Ellis, Gemma Gatti and a few others, but it has been a while since I spoke to any of them. I left the Atlanta area in '99 which was two years after I closed my studio in Marietta for a move to the Miami area. I had my fill of commercial work and we decided on a move for my husbands career which turned out to be a good decision. I miss Atlanta and my friends there. We hope to move back to Georgia within the next few years. "You never know what you got until it's gone" as Joni Mitchell's song says.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    How about us in NW Mass? There are no pro labs around here. We have Vermont Color which is pretty crappy. I've gotten to the point I just send my E-6 to Fuji or Konica via the supermarket. (You can scoff but for amateur stuff, they beat the others around here)

Give me a call (860-267-4617). I've been running E6 for 25 years. Also custom B/W hand processing and printing, and traditional color printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Labs are changing their services all the time, and from what I have heard recently, PhotoPro down in Miami is considering dropping their E6 in 4x5. My own lab Chromatek in Fort Lauderdale seems to be chugging along and their work is good but they are the last left in town that I know of. They still enlarge optically too. I'm wondering if it will ever get to the point that you will have no choice but to send your film to the manufactuer to get it developed. There's got to be some critical point where chemicals will be stopped being produced for distribution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin