Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,158   Posts: 1,614,132   Online: 883

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Still on the list Dan.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/contact.asp?c=USA

- Randy

Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I hoping this is just a rumor but I am also hoping Simon can answer this asap.

On photo.net someone is reporting the Ilford North America, a distributor is closing.

Can someone fill us in and tell us if this is true and if so, what does this mean?

In speaking to Simon at the APUG Conference he mentioned something about restructuring the US operation as part of their long term plan. However, he made a point of saying that it would be transparent to the end users and the vendors. I wouldn't worry about it.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for chiming in John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Still on the list Dan.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/contact.asp?c=USA

- Randy
    Ooops, sorry . . . I thought we were talking about "Ilford North America". My fault.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could be right that there was such a designation, but I thought that there were two entries for NA, that one and this one for Canada.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/contact.asp?c=Canada

Also, I didn't mean to sound so terse in my previous message, I just get touchy about rumors.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    . . . Also, I didn't mean to sound so terse in my previous message, I just get touchy about rumors.

- Randy
    Oh, for me, I'm just having fun. I don't take anything personal. The chances of "me" being correct on any one subject . . . is easily a million to one. The chances of me correctly guessing whether a rumor is true or false . . . a billion to one. ;-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I called Ilford today (Wednesday) and talked to Steve Brierley about this because I received an alarmist e-mail on the subject.

Yes, Ilford North America is closing because it was not cost effective for Harman to buy the US distribution company. This was not exactly a surprise to anyone who has been following the matter closely.

They have moved to a distributor instead. They still employ tech support people and salesmen to sell Ilford products to resellers. The net impact on Ilford buyers (not the staff of Ilford USA, it's true) will be roughly zero. The sky is NOT falling.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 05-31-2006 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: afterthought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I called Ilford today (Wednesday) and talked to Steve Brierley about this because I received an alarmist e-mail on the subject.

Yes, Ilford North America is closing because it was not cost effective for Harman to buy the US distribution company. This was not exactly a surprise to anyone who has been following the matter closely.

They have moved to a distributor instead. They still employ tech support people and salesmen to sell Ilford products to resellers. The net impact on Ilford buyers (not the staff of Ilford USA, it's true) will be roughly zero. The sky is NOT falling.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Please note that you said Ilford NA, then Ilford USA.

If it is Ilford NA, then Canada is also affected. If it is Ilford USA, then only USA is affected.

Actually, I heard that it is Ilford NA and both US and Canadian employees are going. There will be about 3 - 6 remaining to oversee the transition which will start in July. It should be transparent to all customers.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Please re-read my original posting. I never said Ilford was closing. I said their distributor was closing. I never said the sky was falling. And since I am not one of those people who follow these matters closely, I just wanted some clarification.

Read my signature line. Have a great day.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Photo Engineer,

Yes, if I understood Steve correctly, Ilford in Canada is also affected. I have to confess that I specifically asked only about Ilford NA and that he volunteered the information about Canada.

Dear David,

Sorry, I did not mean for one moment to imply that you said the sky was falling. That was more of a reaction to the alarmist e-mail I had received earlier in the day -- from the same source who started to spread a rumour that Mamiya was dead, then two days later said 'it seems as if these rumors are exaggerated'. Well, yes, the only place I heard them was from him...

The confusion lay in 'distributor'. Ilford NA was a sales company, and they now have a distributor. Sorry again: hardening of the categories on my part.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin