Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,904   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film in Canada

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Film in Canada

Anyone know of a source of good 'cheap' film (bw/colour) in Canada? Or as an alternative a source across the line that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping. Thanks
    Larry
    Bessa L, Electro 35 GSN, Elan 7NE, Olympus XA and XA2, Digital Rebel XT

Shooter
    35mm
    I just purchased a bulk pack of 20 Fuji NPS 160asa 36exp from TDA trading via ebay. (All that is a mouthful to be sure...). With shipping (USPS) and exchange it all came to about $60CAD. This was also a "buy it now" purchase on ebay so there was no bidding involved.

Now, that film was about one month out of date when I bought it. It had an expiry of April/06 and I bought it in May but it all sits in my freezer now and the few rolls that I have gone through have been totally fine. If you look at Henry's or The Camera Store that film is going for around $10/roll!!

Dealing with TDA trading was fine but they actually lied on their listing saying that all the film was June 2006 expiry. I took them to task on this and they have said that they will cut me a deal on my next purchase but I do not like the fact that they basically lied on the listing.

However, some very nice film for a very nice price and it only took a week for it to get to me in Cambridge from somewhere in NY state.

My only other source up to that point has been Zehr's with President's Choice 100 asa colour film. They occasionally throw some stuff on sale and I have reaped the benefits of that more than once.

Hope that helps, those are my only two recommendations right now.
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both J&C and Freestyle have reasonable shipping to Canada. Other then that the best bet is likely to batch order from B&H. If you order enough shipping gets spread out. Used to be able to get Agfa cheaper in Canada then the US but no more Agfa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don's Photo in Winnipeg, Brandon, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Saskatoon has pretty good film prices. I pay about $40 for 100' of Ilford black and white films, and $11-12 for Velvia 100F 135-36. Their 120 prices are fair. 4x5 b&w is a bit under a buck a sheet, which seems very reasonable to me.

Their prices are good enough that I buy almost all of my film locally. I do mail order obscure stuff like Efke though. Freestyle is good for that, but the shipping takes a little while to get to Canada.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not the shipping that costs $$, it's the brokerage fees. Since I live about 35 miles from the Canada-US border, I ship to a US address and drive there to pick it up, declare it at the border, and miss the brokerage fees.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Brokerage fees, indeed! That is why I now always specify USPS instead of UPS. I once bought a piece of sheet music from the states for just under $20. Once it got to my door with exchange and shipping it come out to about $40. Not so bad considering that I actually NEEDED the piece for an audition. A couple of weeks later UPS sent me a bill for $35 for brokerage. ACCCKKK!!! I called them on it knowing full well that they couldn't do anything about it and then I called the store asking them to never ship UPS to Canada. Or, at the very least, fully inform their customers north of the border of potential brokerage fees.

Oops! You got me started and I went a bit off topic there... Mmmmm, beer.
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah yes, the joys of UPS crossing the border. Generally I find that the overnight shipping is always cheaper then ground, because brokerage is included with the air shipping. That being said UPS is terrible across the border. If an E bay seller in the US only ships UPS I won't even bid anymore, it just costs too much. The post office or fedex is always a better option.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    Don's Photo in Winnipeg, Brandon, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Saskatoon has pretty good film prices.
    Dons also has an online store that you can see at www.donsphoto.com (yes I'm shamelessly promoting my workplace ). I know we ship anywheres in Canada, we also, I believe, ship internationally, it just cost more and takes longer.
    Cooki

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a nice selection of sheet film available in Canada. You can see it on my site.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    I have a nice selection of sheet film available in Canada. You can see it on my site.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    A bit off topic, but Rob also has one of the nicest selections of cameras I've ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin