Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,777   Posts: 1,671,104   Online: 939

Page 1 of 24 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Renew My Faith Please ...

Okay, I am very discomforted by all the rumors that I am hearing about these film companies going away from film production.

I am a dedicated analog film person, who occasionally argues with the digital salespeople at Henry's, and I am becoming worried that my hobby that I have cultivated for the last 10 years will soon come to an end. Is film's future a shear cliff in a few years?

I am trying something new, infrared B&W, and so far I have enjoyed the results. But, I've been told, Ilford is not making IR film any longer, and Kodak is getting out of the business. As far as the Niagara Region (in Canada) is concerned, no one has ever heard of Maco or Rollei IR Film. So I am stuck on where to get film. Everyone is digital, and there is no way I am changing over yet.

So, my concern is, please tell me that there will be IR film, true B&W film, Colour Slide and colour negative film and most important, 120 roll film available for at least the next 5-10 years. I love my Mamiya and would not trade it for any digital yet. Also, I use Kodak HIE (35mm), Ilford B&W (35mm and 120 roll) and Fuji Velvia (120 roll) or Reala (35mm).

I need my faith renewed.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage [Mythbusters]

My inspiration: www.invisiblethreads.com/potd

Niagara Photography: www.mhinccanada.com/forum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Read Simon R. Galley's posts here on Ilford's commitment to B&W.

Check out J&C, who are making lots of B&W films available from East Europe and from the major manufacturers.

Look at the recent successes in organizing special orders for ULF and odd-sized sheet films from Ilford and Kodak.

Go to filmshooting.com to read about all the latest Super-8 film stocks.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "...and I am becoming worried that my hobby that I have cultivated for the last 10 years will soon come to an end."

Except mine is a career for over 25 years professionally.

I'm too old to start another career.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just keep shooting, and don't worry about that stuff. Consider the sources, for about a minute, and then forget about it. You can really worry about it if, and when you have to. (how's that?)
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg
    I need my faith renewed.
    I think you're looking for www.iwannabeacatholicagain.com.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

Michael
    lol ... looks like I should've said "faith in film". Great advice folks. Now I have some sites to go and read. I really have to research where I can get these films from because around the region here is becoming scarce.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage [Mythbusters]

My inspiration: www.invisiblethreads.com/potd

Niagara Photography: www.mhinccanada.com/forum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's all over for film and paper. It's about all gone and there will never be anymore. Go out and shop for a digital camera, get the best one that you can. After a few days you will stop worrying about "if" film and paper will disappear and realize that eventually everything will disappear even the digital cameras of today. The nature of technology is to reinvent itself over and over. You have to live for today and not be so concerned about what or if or when. If you could or someone else could pin it down they would make a million.

Shooter
    35mm
    In most cases we have to rely on what we read in terms of commitment to film BUT some of had the chance recently to visit Ilford and see the commitment LIVE so to speak from every member of that company. I can't speak for any other film maker but I am convinced of Ilford's commitment and ability to deliver on that commitment. Incidentally it was clear how much Ilford values the N American market.

Just have a look at the thread on the Ilford visit to check out all our impressions and arrive at the same conclusion.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

Michael
    Sacriligeous!!!! Good thing Vatican II got rid of purgatory son, or we would have reserved you a chair in the waiting room.

I will light a candle for you and say a novena. In the meantime, I see that the URL you gave is unowned. Have I got an idea to make a few on the side...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the past few years we have lost a bunch of Polaroid products, K25, Velvia 50, some films in small formats (110, APS, 126, disc) and Tech Pan. The death knell for Polaroid non-professional films sounded when decent 4x6 prints from d***cams became viable. I suspect K25 and Velvia 50 were replaced as part of the ongoing product development cycle at those two companies. The smaller formats I think were falling to the improvements in 35mm automated film handling even without the advent of digital. Meanwhile we can still get sheet film in almost any size, ortho films in several formats, and a variety of other odds and ends that have not been in general use for decades (620). One of the wonders of the internet is that it allows markets to exist globally that could never generate enough volume without it. Thus, you can buy glass plates, flashbulbs, 126 and 127 film, 3x4 sheet film, and kits for alternative processes that most photographers under 60 didn't know existed.

For that matter, you hear the comparison made to buggy whip manufacturers going under when the automobile came along. But you can still buy buggy whips, or special bullets for black powder rifles, to take another example of a long obselete technology.

Page 1 of 24 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin