Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,248   Online: 729

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who sells backing paper?

I'm tempted to try getting my 4x5 rollfilm (yes rollfilm) camera going. I know I can cut down Cirkuit film, but where am I going to find backing paper? Any leads? Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are you sure that you need it? 220 film has no backing paper.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I need it. My No. 4 Cartridge Kodak is designed for 4x5 rollfilm covering 4x5, not a 220 reducing back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The rollfilm cameras of that era used the red window, so it requires a backing. 220 requires a frame counter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a product called "Exeter paper" that's extremely similar to the backing on 120 size J&C Pro 100. It's black, opaque, matte on one side and semi-gloss on the other (put the gloss side toward the film to avoid base scratching). It comes on a roll, IIRC 48 or so inches wide, and is sold by the linear foot. It's durable enough, according to those who've used it, to be reused several times, and you can use a white paint marker or similar to put the frame numbers on the matte side. It's the recommended product for making roll backings wider than 120 (116/616, 122, 124, etc.), and though a little thicker than modern "big brand" backing paper, it's not significantly thicker than what was in use in the 1930s and a standard length roll fits nicely on original spools.

If you search for "Exeter paper" here on APUG you should fine the thread with contact information for the vendor -- unfortunately, Googling that term gives lots of hits for the Exeter Paper Company, who may in fact make the stuff but don't put much if any product information on their web site.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald,
    you never cease to amaze me with the things you know. Where would people be without the likes of you?
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Norm. I have a highly detailed memory. Now if there were only a way to make a living off that... :P
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Thanks, Norm. I have a highly detailed memory. Now if there were only a way to make a living off that... :P
    Sell backing paper! I predict Athanasius will be your first customer. The market is there, TAKE IT!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, you guys rock as usual. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin