Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,515,017   Online: 1230

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Well, J&C is going through some changes now. They seem to be pretty stable in their stock generally.
    I think that Robert makes a valid point. As I look back over a several year relationship with JandC, I have experienced out of stock conditions a couple of times. These were relatively short periods as I recall.

In the same period, I have purchased other products from Freestyle and while the purhases have not been as frequent or as intensive, I have experienced problems with out of stock and shipments sent to the wrong address.

I am not tooting anyones horn on this. I am just stating that as much as we would like perfection in our supplilers that doesn't always happen. The question that remains for me is how is the problem resolved when it arises? In all of these instances they have been resolved much to my satisfaction.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bleh. This whole discussion is pointless now; it turned into something that it shouldn't have.
    Buying film from X or Y is like photography...Like my friend Bill would say:

"...There's no right or wrong, only what you prefer, and what really works for you..."

Shooter
    Large Format

Adox Film

For what it worth, this is a interesting read: go to site
    http://www.adox.net/about_adox.htm

Quote Originally Posted by wy2l
    I have purchased film from J&C in the past, and will buy more in the future, but here's what I found when visiting their web site:

35mm Efke/Adox 25: In stock
    35mm Efke/Adox 50: Not in stock
    35mm Efke/Adox 100: Not in stock
    35mm Kodak 400TX: Not in stock
    35mm Fuji (any kind): Not in stock

120 Efke/Adox 25: Not in stock
    120 Efke/Adox 50: Not in stock
    120 Efke/Adox 100: Not in stock
    Kodak 400TX: Not in stock
    Kodak 400 TMAX: Not in stock
    120 Fuji (any kind): Not in stock

It is difficult to patronize a firm that has no stock.

Kris

I have lots of Kodak 400 Tmax in stock, 5x7, 11x14, 7x17, 8x20 and 12x20. Nobody else does.

I have:

3 different flavors of 2x3 in stock
    2 different flavors of 3x4 in stock
    2 different flavors of 4x10 in stock
    4 different flavors of 5x12 in stock
    4 different flavors of 7x17 in stock
    etc etc etc, who else has that?

I could go on, but while the glass might only be half full, it certainly isn't half empty.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having several sources to go to is a good thing, certainly.

To be fair, it should be noted that several of the ADOX products mentioned in a previos post as being "not in stock" were not available from the manufacturer for some time.

As noted elsewhere, trans-Atlantic logistics and 1- to 2-month leadtimes on production cycles in the case of some mfgs. may lead to temporary shortages from time to time.
    Last edited by foto-r3; 07-16-2006 at 02:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wy2l
    I have purchased film from J&C in the past, and will buy more in the future, but here's what I found when visiting their web site:

35mm Efke/Adox 25: In stock
    35mm Efke/Adox 50: Not in stock
    35mm Efke/Adox 100: Not in stock
    35mm Kodak 400TX: Not in stock
    35mm Fuji (any kind): Not in stock

120 Efke/Adox 25: Not in stock
    120 Efke/Adox 50: Not in stock
    120 Efke/Adox 100: Not in stock
    Kodak 400TX: Not in stock
    Kodak 400 TMAX: Not in stock
    120 Fuji (any kind): Not in stock

It is difficult to patronize a firm that has no stock.

Kris
    3 points:

1) Have you ever tried run a business importing items from a developing country? It isn't easy. From what I understand, it's not like Efke is making film every day and you just call them up and ask for your order to be sent next-day air.

2) Have you ever purchased JandC overstock or short-date items at a big discount? I have. I don't complain when the logistics work to my advantage.

3) Have you ever had problems getting name-brand film from a big supplier? I had to wait 3 months or more once for Tri-X in 120 from Adorama.

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'd like to let you all in on what kind of people at J and C you deal with. About a year ago I placed an order for a box of Jand C 400. When I went to order again I noticed a big price increase and started ranting about the costs. What had happened was when I placed the first order they changed packaging on John from 25 sheets to 50 sheets. John shipped me a 50 sheet box with no questions asked at the price of a 25 sheet box. After I was through pulling my foot out of my mouth I made a public apology to John. John never asked for a dime more due to the packaging change. He ate the costs. That is why I order all my film from J and C regardless of price. Now that's customer service.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I just vistied the Freestyle website and found Efke only in sizes up to 8x10 and no mention of anything larger in the coming soon comments. I will email Freestyle to see if they do intend to stock ULF sizes or other non 120 roll fim sizes. It seems to me that Freestyle wants the cream of the volume sales from 4x5 and 8x10 without the hassle of stocking larger sizes. If this is indeed the case I would strongly urge APUGers to purchase Efke (Adox) film in any size from J&C.

J&C has done a lot of work in importing these films, stocking all formats and in the process encouraged a lot of new growth in ULF giving confidence to photographers that films will be available.
    And not just for Efke films, either, as evidenced by their help in the recent ULF and non-standard size production run of Kodak TMY. I buy all my 8x10 sheet film from JandC even though I can get TMY cheaper elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP
    That is why I order all my film from J and C regardless of price. Now that's customer service.
    We are very lucky to have companines like J and C, *and* Freestyle around.

Sometimes these discussions get interpreted as something against freestyle, but it is more of a complement of JandC.

We are lucky to have both, but we are allowed to have preferences.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shopped at freestyle not just J&C. If it is something I can't get at J&C, I tend to go where I can find it cheapest (doesn't everyone) and check Calumet, B&H and freestyle. Freestyle has gotten a lot of my dollars, but so has everyone else. We have to remember that we want to have choices, not just one vendor. That is why I spread my dollars around. Usually the film purchase is from J&C, and other stuf from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    We are very lucky to have companines like J and C, *and* Freestyle around.

Sometimes these discussions get interpreted as something against freestyle, but it is more of a complement of JandC.

We are lucky to have both, but we are allowed to have preferences.

Matt
    Non Digital Diva

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin