Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,416   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Update on Efke/Adox Film and Paper

This is intended as a followup to an earlier thread about the availability and distribution of Efke film and paper here in the US.

I have researched this and the same films and papers that were formally available under the Efke brand and also the Nuance paper that is distributed by JandC will continue to be distributed by that company. There will be some differences. The primary difference is that Efke film will carry the Adox brand. This is not a problem since these were the same film from the outset.

The second change is that the film will be subjected to an intensive inspection in Europe prior to acceptance from the manufacturer. This will materially reduce the quality control issues that a few of us experienced in the past.

The Nuance brand paper will continue as before. No changes here since Nuance is a brand name that JandC chose.

I have no alliance with JandC. I have purchased materials from Freestyle in the past. My only interest in reporting this is that I have a strong loyalty to the folks at JandC born from the excellent customer service that I have received from them over the years that I have used their products.

I just wanted to inform those who may wonder about the availibility of their favorite films and paper.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for taking the time and reporting the news Don.
    It clears up some confusion. Not that the announcement would keep me from buying from either store.
    My dealings with both J&C and Freestyle have been very pleasant. I am very glad to be able to buy product from both stores.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aha, that`s great news!
    Amund

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The second change is that the film will be subjected to an intensive inspection in Europe prior to acceptance from the manufacturer.
    Absolutely no infos about this on the forum from Fotoimpex, owner from Adox Brand .
    "have a nice hat, not a pot of flowers" - Alicouscous 2002

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald, thanks for the clarification in your post. To read Freestyle's recent post, it would seem they managed to corner the market here in the states. I have also had good dealings with both John & F/S, but my loyalties remain with John. He did stick his neck out when he might not have chosen to, with the market shrinking as it did a few years back. Bottom line for me is that we all have more choices in film & paper availability now, which was not the case 5 years ago. Nice to see the "big guys" having to chase the little guys for a change. Best, tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Don for getting a clarification. I was hoping J&C would still be selling Efke under the Adox banner. Good to see the paper will remain as part of the inventory as well. My concern with Freestyle being sole distributor wolud be their willingness to stock all the sizes that J&C keeps in inventory.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Mr. Chinn, your concern about Freestyle's willingness or ability to support and maintain inventories of film and paper is UNFOUNDED. Because of their foresight and interest in maintaining inventory of these products is why manufacturers like Forte, Foma, Kentmere, Fotospeed, and even Ilford are elated to supply Freestyle with everything they can to meet the ordering levels Freestyle does. I know that at this point several of them have even added second shifts and are looking into expanding production lines to meet this demand. Without Freestyle's interest, several of these manufacturers would, along with Kodak, be out of the B & W business.
    The only reason that Freestyle, in the short term, would not be able to supply a product or specific size, is because the manufacturer cannot make it and ship it fast enough to meet the demand. The reason that they will not be able to maintain this level of support would be that "you" stop ordering these products.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lowellh
    Mr. Chinn, your concern about Freestyle's willingness or ability to support and maintain inventories of film and paper is UNFOUNDED. Because of their foresight and interest in maintaining inventory of these products is why manufacturers like Forte, Foma, Kentmere, Fotospeed, and even Ilford are elated to supply Freestyle with everything they can to meet the ordering levels Freestyle does. I know that at this point several of them have even added second shifts and are looking into expanding production lines to meet this demand. Without Freestyle's interest, several of these manufacturers would, along with Kodak, be out of the B & W business.
    The only reason that Freestyle, in the short term, would not be able to supply a product or specific size, is because the manufacturer cannot make it and ship it fast enough to meet the demand. The reason that they will not be able to maintain this level of support would be that "you" stop ordering these products.

I think Mr. Chinn was referring to the unique sizes that J&C carries in some products--I believe they are "special order" arrangements that J&C has with Adox.
    "Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them." --From the Lawn*Boy Operator's Manual

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lowellh
    I know that at this point several of them have even added second shifts and are looking into expanding production lines to meet this demand. Without Freestyle's interest, several of these manufacturers would, along with Kodak, be out of the B & W business.
    The only reason that Freestyle, in the short term, would not be able to supply a product or specific size, is because the manufacturer cannot make it and ship it fast enough to meet the demand.
    Where are you getting your data to support these claims? All I've heard is that they are reducing production at some facilities. That and a snag in obtaining materials to manufacturer the film with in the first place. It would be interesting to get your sources and hard facts to back this up.
    Non Digital Diva

Hello Aggie:
    These are not claims but fact. As a supplier and manufacture of chemistry to our industry in the U.S., world wide and specifically, Freestyle, I have both first and second hand contact with these manufacturers listed and others. Because of the Freestyle "demand", several of these manufacturers have been able to get their governments to support them and aid their emergence for bankruptcy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin