Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,669   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

B & W film deals...

Summer sale ends tomorrow at J and C. I was able to add to my ammo bag and save some bucks....check it out, if you haven t already done so...a good time to replenish your stash...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    But summer isnt over tomorrow!

(Thanks for the heads up(s) there)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey Dave,

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed an order with them.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    But summer isnt over tomorrow!

(Thanks for the heads up(s) there)
    When did stores ever pay any attention to the seasons? We have a clothing chain store called Marks and Spencer in the U.K. When sustained hot weather arrives, usually not before late July/early August(this year has been an exception) and I look for a few short sleeved shirts, the winter clothing stock has already arrived and summer clothing has been dispensed with. In January, the coldest time of the year, the winter stuff is replaced by lightweight spring clothing which is just about OK to wear by May.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Summer sale ends tomorrow at J and C. I was able to add to my ammo bag and save some bucks....check it out, if you haven t already done so...a good time to replenish your stash...
    I wish John would stock Fuji Velvia . I stocked up on enough B&W film to last me several years (two boxes) just last month.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I wish John would stock Fuji Velvia . I stocked up on enough B&W film to last me several years (two boxes) just last month.
    ROLF! i use a roll a day!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    When did stores ever pay any attention to the seasons? We have a clothing chain store called Marks and Spencer in the U.K. When sustained hot weather arrives, usually not before late July/early August(this year has been an exception) and I look for a few short sleeved shirts, the winter clothing stock has already arrived and summer clothing has been dispensed with. In January, the coldest time of the year, the winter stuff is replaced by lightweight spring clothing which is just about OK to wear by May.

pentaxuser
    And try to buy lawn furniture after mid-July! One local chain is already stocking up on back to school supplies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Markok,

Think about it a minute. You live in Kingston, ON where it is cold, dark and dreary for 8 months a year. The trees are bare and grass is brown and fuggehdabout flowers! Then Summer comes and the other four are hot, hazy and humid and filled with mosquitos and other unpleasant things.

So, of course, you shoot a lot of B&W film - what else is there?

OTOH, Robert lives in Hawaii which, at 20 degrees N latitude, has a generally benign climate with few discernable seasonal changes and flowers and trees etc. in constant bloom. Look at his signature. He is a color (colour) man. He is surrounded by color all the time.

So of course, he mainly shoots Velvia and it's not surprising that a couple of boxes of B&W will stand him in good stead for a couple of years!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Marko,

Additionally, Robert is shooting 4x5 sheet film either in Readyload/Quickload form or to be loaded in 4X5 holders. 3-4 sheets of film can cost close to the amount to process a single roll of 35mm film in color.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I suspect I will use up a good portion of one of the boxes on my upcoming trip in October. The light in the Australian Outback is pretty harsh during the middle of the day - too harsh for Velvia - my reason for buying B&W film. Since I'll be traveling with a B&W photographer, that will give me something to do during our photo stops.

To put this trip into perspective, I've got one box of Efke PL100 (50 sheet), two boxes of Velvia 50 (50 sheets each), 4 boxes of Velvia 50 QuickLoads (80 sheets total), 20 rolls of 35mm Velvia 50 and 15 rolls of 120 Velvia 50, for this trip. So, you can see where my emphasis will be.

Marko, each box of Velvia QuickLoads costs about $69 (20 sheets a box), and it costs me $1.30 a sheet to have it processed. During the Spring and Winter months, I will shoot 3 to 4 boxes of film per month (not mentioning 35mm) - when you consider I still have a full time job, that is a lot of film to shoot. LF can be quite expensive.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin