Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,135   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

A new Ilford film?

Probably this won't work, because I suspect that the reject rate isn't high enough -- but why not package any really out-of-spec material for Holgas and Lomos? I can just see the packaging: Ilford Holga 120 and Ilford Lomo 35. They could even offer a money-back guarantee if it's any good...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Probably this won't work, because I suspect that the reject rate isn't high enough -- but why not package any really out-of-spec material for Holgas and Lomos? I can just see the packaging: Ilford Holga 120 and Ilford Lomo 35. They could even offer a money-back guarantee if it's any good...

Cheers,

Roger

You will probably find that the Lomographic Society International has 'Holga' and 'Lomo' sewn up tight as trademarks. They are also very litigious.

If this was to work Ilford would have to sell the film stock to the LSI, who would then repackage it, quadruple the price and sell it as the 'latest, greatest discovery of out of date film from Vienna'.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    You will probably find that the Lomographic Society International has 'Holga' and 'Lomo' sewn up tight as trademarks. They are also very litigious.

If this was to work Ilford would have to sell the film stock to the LSI, who would then repackage it, quadruple the price and sell it as the 'latest, greatest discovery of out of date film from Vienna'.
    Yes, but at least they wouldn't have to worry about how it was stored...

Cheers,

Aphasia Winkleprop

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ilford film problems that I've heard about have been things like coating defects that produce a repetitive "V" shaped mark on the film--probably not too exciting from a Lomographic/Holgascopic perspective.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Mr.Hicks....

I have met some Lomo fans in Russia...and very passionate about Lomo's they are as well...as for 'out of spec' films...nothing will ever leave HARMAN technoilogy Limited 'out of spec'...Its why I am am sightly confused about David's remark ?..can you elucidate or pm me..

Regards

Simon: ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Simon, you have to watch "V for vendetta" in order to understand David's joke (and Andy's avatar)...

What about Ilford's "Pan" films, meant to be distributed in India, Greece and other underdeveloped countries ? Aren't they supposed to be cut from the edges of FP4 and HP5 master rolls, thus of a "Lower quality" than the "FP4" and "HP5" labelled film that comes from the "good part" of the master roll ? At least, that's what the street rumours (or an urban legend) suggest...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear George,

Thanks for explaining the 'v' I thought it must be some reference but I can be a bit slow:

The PAN films you talk about are quality films, but are a different specification to FP4+ and HP5+

Regards

Simon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley
    Dear Mr.Hicks....

I have met some Lomo fans in Russia...and very passionate about Lomo's they are as well...as for 'out of spec' films...nothing will ever leave HARMAN technoilogy Limited 'out of spec'...Its why I am am sightly confused about David's remark ?..can you elucidate or pm me..

Regards

Simon: ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited
    Dear Simon,

It was meant principally as a joke. What I meant was simply this: rather than throw it away, rebrand it for Holga and Lomo, where the quality is so lousy (especially Holga) that stuff you would regard as fit only for recycling would fit in beautifully.

Actually, rather than 'lousy' let's use words like 'chance' or (if we're feeling fancy) 'aleatory'. Lomos aren't too bad, but I've never quite understood the appeal of Holgas.

But as I said, I doubt you produce enough stuff that is bad enough to make it worth the effort. Of course you could always store the bad stuff until you had enough to release a 'connoisseur's batch' of bad film. After all, a bit of age-fog (and a selection of different problems, such as air-bubbles, scratches, wrong speeds, etc.) would only add to the mystique.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Actually, rather than 'lousy' let's use words like 'chance' or (if we're feeling fancy) 'aleatory'. Lomos aren't too bad, but I've never quite understood the appeal of Holgas.

But as I said, I doubt you produce enough stuff that is bad enough to make it worth the effort. Of course you could always store the bad stuff until you had enough to release a 'connoisseur's batch' of bad film. After all, a bit of age-fog (and a selection of different problems, such as air-bubbles, scratches, wrong speeds, etc.) would only add to the mystique.
    In other words, Simon, it is people like me who occasionally use a Holga who are the target of Roger's barbs, not Ilford.

Of course, I get my messed up film on eBay outdated for a few cents a roll, no reason to pay extra!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Paul,

'Barbs' is putting it a bit harshly -- as I say, it was meant lightheartedly -- but yes, that's it.

Then again, just think: if you could get reliably bad film, with unpredictable faults, you could try taking Holga-type 'aleatory' pictures with a reliable camera...

Cheers,

Hezakiah Toadmountain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin