Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 992

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Another Enlarger Mfg Ceases Production

I have been looking to buy a 2nd enlarger and I have read that the Meopta Magnifax is a very good enlarger...as recommended by the late great Barry Thornton. Anyway, the USA distributor told me that I should contact Meopta direct and here is the response that I received via e-mail. Bummer Huh? Looks like I will be getting another brand.

"Dear Mr Simmons,

We are sorry not to be able to sell you Magnifax 4a enlarger. The
    manufacturing of enlargers has been discontinued and our stock of Magnifax
    is completely sold out. You can try to ask our distributor in Mexico if they
    have this model available.
    Our distributor in Mexico is:

COLEX MEXICANA S.A. de C.V.
    Av. Vallarta No. 1519
    Zona Chapultepec
    44140 Guadalajara, Jalisco
    Mr Javier Gallardo - e-mail: javier@colex.com.mx

Best regards,
    Antonin Smid"

----- Original Message -----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meopta enlargers are still listed at the UK agent RK Photographic, www.meopta.co.uk
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are so MANY Durst enlargers going begging, you shouldn't be too concerned if you can't find a Magnifax ( alway hard to get in the USA ! )

Where are you in Michigan ?

df
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    You may want to check out Kienzle enlargers, they are made in Germany and built like a tank. I used to have one for 6x9 with mechanical autofocus. They are available new.

http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    According our Czech export partner, Meopta ceased their production of enlargers already by the end of 2005. So 8 months stock is not so bad. Meopta enlargers models 1-4 you can get in Holland almost for free, Opemus 5-6 and Magnifax for small money.
    The only manufacturers in Europe for the moment about enlargers are Kaiser, Dunco and Kienzle. The last one is very professional and Kienzle is also on the Photokina this year together on the booth with Heiland from Wetzlar.
    Kienzle Fototechnik & Heiland electronic - Halle 05.1, Stand E 021

The market for new enlargers is so small that only specialized companies in construction work can survive because they can construct a few systems on request and have no real production line.

If you would be happy with a Magnifax but using it till 6X7cm you can consider a Dunco II 67.
    Examples you can find here: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/eng/enlargers.html
    and ask Dunco (http://www.dunco.de) or their rep in the USA (Versalab- http://www.versalab.com ; also for Heiland) to deliver it.

Rests: The second hand market, of course.

Best regards,

Robert

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin