Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Availability: those roll number labels that professional labs use

It occurred to me the other day (don't laugh... sometimes this does happen) that it would be useful to have those sticky roll number labels that professional labs use when they process film. You know the ones I mean, I'm certain... two stickers with identical numbers (usually four digits); one goes on the film and stays on through development, the other goes on the envelope in which the film was deposited. After processing, the numbers are matched up so the film goes to the correct owner.

Why would these be useful? Well, I tend to get quite behind in my processing and do huge batches at once. If I keep exposure records, I could put those labels on the film when I load it into the camera, and put the matching label on my notes for the roll. That way, I'd know what camera and lens I used for the film, and what exposure settings I used (if I recorded them).

I'm sure that these must be available somewhere. Does anybody know where a lowly amateur can acquire them? I'm in Canada, but ordering them from the US would be fine. I'd even get them from overseas if I didn't have a North American source.

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would be easy enough to make your own with a sheet of Avery peel-n-stick labels and a pen. The labels come in some pretty small sizes and you can even format a word processing document to match the stickers and print up however many you want.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There called "twin checks" and I have seen rolls of them on ebay over the last year, if you have to buy them new, they are expensive, but on ebay they turn up for rolls of thousands of them for just a few bucks. They are normally made out of mylar, so they are pretty resistant to the chemicals used in processing. If you can't find them, let me know and I will see what I can order some for you, in a regular home enviorment processing situations, one roll would last for years.

Dave

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check porter's. i got some from there several years ago, they do come in handy from time to time.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm fairly sure I've seen them at B&H. As Dave says, they're called "twin checks."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep, twin checks are still available, as used by all mini-labs that still do film. You will find them at minilab supply stores, they are not cheap but you usually get 2000-5000 on a roll. A local minilab might be able to sell you a roll.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boyooso
    Wow, for the $25 minimum, you are going to have a lot of little stickers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hama used to have them, try www.hama.com (or .de)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Trek Hall in Toronto sells twin checks, minimum order with them is $100.00 canadian, buy some Kodak product to boost the order to the minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin