Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,493   Online: 980

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm
    Speaking of the sales of CDs and records, what do we with Tower Records that's gone bankrupt? Is it a big news around the world?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    that people will soon come to their senses and go back to film.
    I don't think they will. New generations will discover film and some will use film but most of the people will be digital. And regarding digital quality, I know people in this forum actually gets better results with analog; but lets face it digital is a very capable medium and results are or will be as good or better than analog for the main public.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dolande
    And regarding digital quality, I know people in this forum actually gets better results with analog; but lets face it digital is a very capable medium and results are or will be as good or better than analog for the main public.
    With all the automation for cameras in the digital domain, it is easy to get "acceptable" results for the consumers. And I don't think that anyone really disagrees that people are going to dump digital and jump to film en-masse.

PLus given some real limitations on sensor and pixel sizes - coming up with a "killer app" large format digital solution promises to be very expensive as far as I can tell. (Scanning backs + a multi-thousand dollar computer system being the best for high quality so far - seems problematic for non studio work as far as I can tell)

Shooter
    Multi Format

RIT - CAMPUS CONNECTION

Probably the best local-to-Rochester source of film is closing end of year since the bookstore is being taken over and managed by Barnes and Noble. Not suprised, really, but I am wondering how the Photography department is going to deal with it, since they need the supplies.

I don't think this is part of the consumer decline of film, but it is telling since RIT's department is one of the best in the nation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding the Campus Connection, you must know it is a moot point regarding color chemicals, as the school there will not let the students process their film or prints because the chemicals are 'too toxic'. And, why buy the paper if you can't process your prints. You have to hand them over to someone else to process. Same with film.

Within 3 months they went from about 90% film to 90% digital on the shelves.

They have coating equipment they never used and discourage the teaching of conventional photography from what I have heard. Basically, analog photography is not politically correct there.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Sam,

The Nikon DSLRs will mount all F-mount lenses. But will hardly work at all with manual primes (certainly no metering capability).

I think the D-200 is more backward compatible than earlier Nikon DSLRs in this regard - not sure.

The implication I got from the Sony ad was that not only would the full line of A-mounts fit their DSLR - but were also truly compatible.
    The new Sony A-100 is fully compatible with all of the Maxxum lenses that have been made, the only ones you might find that don't work correctly may be some of the earlier 3 party lenses from Sigma and Tamron. Also in addition to being compatible with the Maxxum lenses, they have introduced 19 new lenses that were made by Ziess for this system.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Right now at my local supermarket (where I work) they are stugling to keep up with the demand, I wen't to collect my films yesterday 2 days later than I could have, only to find that they had not beem printed. Admitedly this is down to the time of year and a lot of single use cameras.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin