Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,693   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

2 New Canon L lenses

Thought it might be of some interest to people here, especially the new 50mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon makes some very fine optics. Even their cheap, marginally-built consumer lenses are surprisingly sharp. The two L-series lenses I own are outstanding.

What is disturbing in this Canon announcement is the lack of reference to anyone other than digital camera users. I suppose we film users have been written off by the major players in professional photography today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    What is disturbing in this Canon announcement is the lack of reference to anyone other than digital camera users. I suppose we film users have been written off by the major players in professional photography today.
    There are 3 email address at the bottom of the page for Canon sales,marketing people. I think concerned film EOS users should write these people and ask why there is no mention that these can be use for film and why film users are being ignored. I would write them myself, but all my Canon gear is the manual focus FD system. Canon wrote me off years ago.

Here are the email addresses.

dszajngarten@cusa.canon.com

gcoalter@cusa.canon.com

ccenter@cits.canon.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Done.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I wonder if these outperform their predecessors. The EF 4/70-200 L would be hard to beat, and I wonder if the EF 1.2/50 L actually gives you sharper images than the EF 1.4/50 at any normal aperture other than wide open.
    Last edited by Petzi; 08-25-2006 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sorry, I didn't know anyone was putting film into their lens. A new trick to me!

Canon stresses their full-frame digitals because only Canon makes such beasts, with the demise of full-frame Contax and Kodak cameras. This just cross-product marketing -- emphasize the brand across all SKUs.

Film bodies, on the other hand, are not a unique market for Canon -- Nikon and Vivitar and a handful of others also sell such things. Talking about film bodies presents no marketing advantage for The Big C.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Canon makes some very fine optics. Even their cheap, marginally-built consumer lenses are surprisingly sharp. The two L-series lenses I own are outstanding.

Well you have Canon's full frame cameras to thank for the thank for the fact it will work on film. I am surprised they don't mention that they are for both digital and film. I suggest that anyone who buys one of these for a film camera writes to Canon!

My guess it Canon sell a lot more new lenses to film users than thay do cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand
    There are 3 email address at the bottom of the page for Canon sales,marketing people. I think concerned film EOS users should write these people and ask why there is no mention that these can be use for film and why film users are being ignored. I would write them myself, but all my Canon gear is the manual focus FD system. Canon wrote me off years ago.

Here are the email addresses.

dszajngarten@cusa.canon.com

gcoalter@cusa.canon.com

ccenter@cits.canon.com
    Relax this simply just marketing. These lenses should work perfectly well film cameras. Canon is simply not marketing these lenses for film because film is not trendy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose not too many film shooters who are too cheap to go digital are going to spend the big dollars on a 50/1.2. (This isn't my assessment of film shooters, but it is a common perception.)

The f/1.4 is a far better deal anyway. But ssh, the first-generation 50/1.8 is just as good and a lot cheaper (although it costs used about what the second-generation plastic lens costs new).

I shoot Nikon so none of this matters to me, but if I were a Canon film shooter I'd be glad to see that these lenses had been released. Nikon just discontinued its 28/1.4 so it appeared that fast lenses might not be as much in vogue as they had once been.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Glad to see a new prime lens from Canon, but I'm standing pat with my FD 50/1.2L thank you.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin