Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,226   Online: 898

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE, do you know for a fact that the B&W films will be upgraded? T-max 100? And if so what does the 2 electron sensitization actually mean in a practical sense?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    PE, do you know for a fact that the B&W films will be upgraded? T-max 100? And if so what does the 2 electron sensitization actually mean in a practical sense?
    I don't know it as a fact. I know that they had plans for it.

What it means is that a 200 speed film can be made with the same grain as a previous 100 speed film, or that the 100 speed film can be made with better grain.

Generally it means a better film all around for sharpness, speed and grain.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,

What does the new technology mean for old school emulsions like Plus X and Tri-X? Will they also be effected or will they leave them alone? I can see TMax changing.

Also for a film like 100UC- will there be a chance they can make it finer grained closer to the Supra 100 standard of PGI 27?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    Ron,

What does the new technology mean for old school emulsions like Plus X and Tri-X? Will they also be effected or will they leave them alone? I can see TMax changing.

Also for a film like 100UC- will there be a chance they can make it finer grained closer to the Supra 100 standard of PGI 27?
    I really don't know what EK will do overall.

I suspect what you say will be close to fact. The new Portra 800 film, AFAIK, is the first consumer film with the new sensitization. Vision 2 ECN for motion picture was the first to get this new technology.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    Ron,

I really don't know what EK will do overall.

I suspect what you say will be close to fact. The new Portra 800 film, AFAIK, is the first consumer film with the new sensitization. Vision 2 ECN for motion picture was the first to get this new technology.

PE

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portra films seem to change more often than David Beckham's haircut........
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to see continued strong marketing and development of these professional products.

I have been using Portra film this summer for all the weddings I shot - apart from the most recent (last Saturday) - I used Fuji Pro400.

Why?

Well, whilst I think the skin tones are superior in the Kodak emulsions, I do like the general overall look of the Fuji emulsion and I wanted to give it a whirl having not used it for a few months.

The second reason is:

Kodak Portra 400NC pack of 5 135 films: £24.66
    Fuji Pro400 pack of 5 135 films: £17.57
    (source: calumet)

That is basically 40% more for Kodak - which is just absurd, and also rather disappointing.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt5791; 09-21-2006 at 06:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm keen to try them, I used to use the NC 400 but switched to UC 400, and I'd like a better version of the VC 400 to fit in between those palette/contrasts. I just can't figure out when and where I can get them, major retailers are not posting them yet and Kodak says Q4 06 as stock turn-over. Yikes! Might be ages or do I have to keep buying the old stuff to get to the new stuff?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    AFAIK, at the present time, Kodak is upgrading all of its color negative films with the new 2 electron sensitization. Following this, or concurrent with this, B&W films will also be upgraded.

PE
    Do you have a citation? Do you work for Kodak, you seem to know a lot of stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Do you have a citation? Do you work for Kodak, you seem to know a lot of stuff?
    I spent 32 years working in the Kodak Research Labs.

The 2 electron sensitization was the topic of one of the talks at the ICIS (International Conference of Imaging Science) held in Rochester this year. I was present at the talk.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin