Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,411   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak revises Porta films

http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm?id=3035

Interesting news as Kodak improves the Portra family with finer grain. New films will replace old ones this year as stock is rotated.

What I'm wondering is why Kodak won't make a new Portra 100 film with a PGI of 25 to 27 with medium contrast and medium saturation- but very fine grained. They haven't had a film as low as PGI 27 since Supra 100 left. Kodak needs a better Reala competitor and 100UC is not it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you sent them a note, or given them a call to find out Why?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I emailed them on this actually. Im waiting for their response. I suspect it will be because the market doesn't want slower films these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Along with the revisions, though, they've discontinued 100T (as quoted from their Portra Q&A pdf):

"Due to declining volumes, KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA 100T Film will be dropped from the portfolio by year-end 2006 as supplies run out. For applications requiring tungsten balance, we suggest using one of the other PORTRA Films with appropriate filtration."

Also, Portra 160NC in 5x7 is also gone (as quoted from their email response to my inquiry):

"Thank you for contacting Eastman Kodak Company regarding availability of KODAK PROFESSIONAL PORTRA 160NC Film in 5x7 sheets.

That is correct. Unfortunately, the 5x7 size of this film has been discontinued due to extremely low demand and low sales volume...We have no other film available in 5x7 size currently - that was the last and only one before it became discontinued."

And by that last statement, they meant "no other color film." I asked. B&W 5x7 is as before -- TMX and Tri-X.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love 160NC

I remember the 800 ISO version was updated earlier this year, I was looking at buying some the other day, but it was so expensive £4 a roll!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AJ, pretty good prices here.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah that where I looked

OK its £3.65 Bassed on an RRP of 5.95, Copare that to £2.70 for 800Z and £2.10 for Press 800

I'm not even sure that its the old or new version they have on that site.

It looks like that the old Portra 800 its self wasn't very old I found I review of it from 2004

Edit - Also found this from 18 months ago Link It would seem that they don't take there time. Although I think that was just inprovements to coatings in MF and LF film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The way to tell between the late 2004 or the current (released Feb-March 2006) versions of Portra 800 is:

the 2004 version has a red oval on the box saying 'Now with finer grain', and

the current version has a white lozenge on the box with 'Better skin tones'.

The new boxes for all the revised Portra films are as on the Kodak website. Unfortunately both the 2004 and current Portra 800 has '800-2' as an edgemark.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    AJ, pretty good prices here.
    And rather poor service sometimes. Mathers of Lancashire stock the 160 and 400 films. Next day Recorded Delivery beats waiting several weeks. Mailshots have a comprehensive selection of films, Portra 800 is £3.48 inc VAT.

Simon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, at the present time, Kodak is upgrading all of its color negative films with the new 2 electron sensitization. Following this, or concurrent with this, B&W films will also be upgraded.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin