Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,016   Online: 683

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    I'd imagine it would also make their stock look better if they dont have any portion of their business reducing in sales and such, since its outsourced.
    I agree. I expect that Kodak will engage in more asset sales of its "mature businesses" with similar production buy-back provisions. They need the cash to reinvest in the digital businesses, so it's logical to first milk and then sell off the "cash cows" before they go dry....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was surprised that Kodak did not sell off or spin off it's B&W paper division, although Kodak may have looking for a buyer and did not find one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bet the new company will offer to keep the same employees, but only if they take a pay cut or work without a union. I guess the good part is that their keeping the operation in the USA, for now anyway.

James,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I posted on photo.net...

Personally (my opinion), I couldn't care less. Kodak abandoned the market a long time ago in favor of digital items such as TV's (wait til Christmas) and cell phones.

I switched to Ilford products a few years ago and have been very happy with their products and their support. They even introduced TWO new paper developers.

And with Kodak possibly going away, their market share, whatever they had left, will certainly fall onto Ilford. This is a good thing.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    in the article it states they will keep 150 employees to continue production
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like Kodak had more capacity at this plant than it needed.

Champion will continue to make Kodak product, plus manufacture some of its own chemicals there.

With ony 150 employees going to Champion, I doubt Kodak considers it a cash cow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    With ony 150 employees going to Champion, I doubt Kodak considers it a cash cow.
    Actually, if you only need a few employees to spin cash then that enhances a "cash cow". The asset sale is a result of the further maturing of the business with the expectation that future cash generation will NOT be as strong as in the past.

Perhaps you were confusing "cash cow" with "cost reduction"?

Kodak is strategically exiting mature businesses using a classic restructuring model*. Let's not forget that the current Ilford that we know is actually Harmonn (sp?) a "spin off" by the former parent using the Ilford name under license.

The big question regarding Kodak's moves will be when do they spin-off the film division? And will they do it via a management buy-out like Harmonn or some other way.

One thing for sure, they cannot keep hemmoraging money as they have done for a number of quarters now. The scary thing is, no one is convinced (yet) that their restructuring is going to succeed.

*One, reasonably successful example of this is IBM. Sold the "Selectrics" then sold the "laptops" and PC's and are now basically positioned as a "systems solution" company.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...NESS/609210346

Just found this article. It seems to give more assurance of future availability of the Kodak range of developers than if left "in house". Just seems a logical move like the Agfa chemistry takeover by a&o. Let us hope it allays any fears of HC-110 and X-Tol etc disappearing.

Regards, John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    I was surprised that Kodak did not sell off or spin off it's B&W paper division, although Kodak may have looking for a buyer and did not find one.

IIRC that was the case as Kodak tried, but could not find a buyer that could operate a North American plant and compete with lower costs of overseas manufacturers and the size and scale of machinery pretty much eliminates the option of moving the operation somewhere else.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...NESS/609210346

Just found this article. It seems to give more assurance of future availability of the Kodak range of developers than if left "in house". Just seems a logical move like the Agfa chemistry takeover by a&o. Let us hope it allays any fears of HC-110 and X-Tol etc disappearing.

Regards, John.
    Except for HC110 and KRST, everything else Kodak makes can be either replaced by other off the shelf products or easily made up with stock chemicals. When Kodak dropped its paper I bought 3 gallons of HC110 and with its shelf life rated basically in the millinieum range, that should last me as long as I keep shooting film. I think someone else now produces a selenium toner, but worse case scenario this can also be mixed at home but requires a much higher level of safety precautions.

Like anything else, as long as there is a market, someone will make most of this stuff.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin