Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,238   Online: 997

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    kodak stills makes selenium, but it is only available in qt. not gallons
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe Ilford is now making selenium as well.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i know ilford has been testing their version of selenium, not sure it is on the retail market yet.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's a review in one of the last issues of B+W(uk).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like a reason to raise prices to me!

Though I've realized that the only Kodak stuff I use these days are Xtol and PhotoFlo.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Looks like Kodak had more capacity at this plant than it needed.

Champion will continue to make Kodak product, plus manufacture some of its own chemicals there.

With ony 150 employees going to Champion, I doubt Kodak considers it a cash cow.
    The benefit is that Kodak gets some cash (very important as they fund their shift to the company they want to be) and this manufacturer will be able to service a ongoing market for the chemicals - and as they are primarily a chemical company, they will be more interested in ongoing operations than Kodak who, as copake_ham said, is hardly done.

I would expect that their film operations to be sold at some point as they switch to digital exclusively.

There is a long history of spin offs and sell offs here in Rochester - even before film started shrinking.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Medium Format

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology : Selenium

Dear All,

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN Selenium Toner will be shipping to retailers first week in November in USA we have 1lt and 5lt available : About a month later for
    Europe

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All,

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN Selenium Toner will be shipping to retailers first week in November in USA we have 1lt and 5lt available : About a month later for
    Europe

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited
    Interesting location for this post.

Simon, where can I read more about Ilford's Selenium Toner?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak did a similar thing with their European chemicals division last year. As I understand the financial aspects of that, it reduces their liability risks, thus saving them more money to buy back their own chemicals and products instead of continuing to run the manufacturing facilities. This stuff is buried deep within numerous pages of SEC reports, in case you ever find yourself so massively bored you might want to read them.

Don't forget that Kodak are trying to position themselves as the dominant player in the commercial printing and graphic arts supplies industry (GCG at Kodak). A huge part of the commercial printing industry is printing negatives, which need chemicals similar to film chemicals. This division (GCG) and medical imaging are the cash cows at Kodak, while consumer imaging is barely 1/3 of revenues.

Kodak also now outsource almost all consumer digital P&S camera production, so if someone wanted to make a spin of the facts with that it might be claimed that Kodak are getting out of digital imaging . . . the reality is that the prominent basis for future profits at Kodak will become products and services for companies, and not from consumer products. Go back through enough SEC reports, and you will find it has been many years since Kodak got the majority of profits from film sales, though the public perception has often been that Kodak is only a film company. Just like many things with WallStreet, it is often too much of buy on the rumour, then sell on the news.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand View Post
    I bet the new company will offer to keep the same employees, but only if they take a pay cut or work without a union. I guess the good part is that their keeping the operation in the USA, for now anyway.

James,
    I could be mistaken, but I thought Kodak was always non-union. As for pay cuts, I'd bet that's already happened (especially those fat Kodak bonuses that used to drive the entire economy of Rochester at the end of the year).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin