Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,038   Online: 930

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nasty Rumor? "Kodak Sells Photochemical Operations" ?

Seen a link for it on another photography related message board, but when I try to see the thread, the site conviently is down at the moment ( and its a site I visit regularly ), but the thread title said "Kodak Sells Photochemical Operations".

I'm trying to figure out the story behind it, I know on the 20th Kodak stopped developing some synthetic chemicals used in the operation of "products" (they don't tell you specifically which product it affects).

So was the title just grossly exagerated? I know some people say one thing, and its usually not it, such as saying fuji stopped making neopan across 100, when it was just stoping the distribution of it's bulk roll in asia, not discontinueing it totally.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I read it. Apparently Kodak has sold their chemical production facility in Rochester to another chemical company and that company will continue to produce the Kodak products. It did not say whether they would be doing the selling themselves or whether they would be making the products *for* Kodak. They did not state anything about discontinuing products, just to head off the inevitable.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nothing on the Wall Street Journal site about Kodak since 9/20.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    They are usually slow about putting 'damaging' or 'unpopular' news on their own sites.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here it is

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/30...acquire-kodak-

and I was wrong, it does state that they will be making the chemicals *for* Kodak - in the title. I didn't have the link and couldn't remember for certain.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    Here it is

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/30...acquire-kodak-

and I was wrong, it does state that they will be making the chemicals *for* Kodak - in the title. I didn't have the link and couldn't remember for certain.

- Randy
    Oh.. so no big deal then, Kodak likely just wanting to stop all effort on their part in terms of producing film and such and concentrate on digital, which would make sense to have other companies pick up the rest. I was just kinda worried it was gona be something stupid that would lead to a quick deminishing on the chemistry.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was curious too, although I don't use much in the way of Kodak chemicals, I would still hate to see them drop out. It's a cost cutting measure I would imagine - at least in theory.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I was curious too, although I don't use much in the way of Kodak chemicals, I would still hate to see them drop out. It's a cost cutting measure I would imagine - at least in theory.

- Randy
    More likely a cash generating measure. Selling off profitable operations, particularly those engaged in what are no longer considered part of the firm's "core business" such as this, is a necessary part of their restructuring strategy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    More likely a cash generating measure. Selling off profitable operations, particularly those engaged in what are no longer considered part of the firm's "core business" such as this, is a necessary part of their restructuring strategy.
    I'd imagine it would also make their stock look better if they dont have any portion of their business reducing in sales and such, since its outsourced.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin