Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,786   Online: 1194

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,

this is my first here, but since I had the chance to see the "slides" at the photokina, I thought I give my opinion here.
    I was disappointed with the quality. Take a look at the datasheet; the max. densitiy is only 2.25, which is far too low for projection.
    The slides were presented on a light table and it is clearly visible, that the blacks are dark grey in reality.
    As a consequence, the contrast was too low resulting in dull looking pictures.

In my opinion this is a film giving direct positives but unusable for projecting.

Wish it would be better...

Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Hello,

this is my first here, but since I had the chance to see the "slides" at the photokina, I thought I give my opinion here.
    I was disappointed with the quality. Take a look at the datasheet; the max. densitiy is only 2.25, which is far too low for projection.
    The slides were presented on a light table and it is clearly visible, that the blacks are dark grey in reality.
    As a consequence, the contrast was too low resulting in dull looking pictures.

In my opinion this is a film giving direct positives but unusable for projecting.

Wish it would be better...

Regards,
    Andreas
    I wouldn't be too hasty to jump to conclusions yet. As I understand the datasheet, you can control the contrast level just by using different developers (RLC, RHS/Rodinal, RHC). My guess is that the slides you saw, were developed with scanning in mind, which results in low contrast images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Exactly, we have worked out our first results with Rollei RHS/AM74 but in contrast to the new Rollei CN400 pro (C41) scanfilm there are a lot of variables to control.
    Our result: 1.8 log D with the RHS and suitable for scanning, indeed not for projection with this combination and some questions for the Rollei/Maco company.

Available data details (in German) are on our web site so far including an example in the gallery what we have done last week in a B-test.

best regards,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by doitashimashite View Post
    I can't wait to try this one out. This is what I have been waiting for!
    Any results yet?

Could this be a DR-5 killer?
    (http://www.dr5.com/main.html)
    Not likely given all the film options DR5 offers with their process including many pan films.
    www.jandcphoto.com

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
    Exactly, we have worked out our first results with Rollei RHS/AM74 but in contrast to the new Rollei CN400 pro (C41) scanfilm there are a lot of variables to control.
    Our result: 1.8 log D with the RHS and suitable for scanning, indeed not for projection with this combination and some questions for the Rollei/Maco company.

Available data details (in German) are on our web site so far including an example in the gallery what we have done last week in a B-test.

best regards,

Robert
    Hello Robert,

Maco/Rollei put some strong statements in their data sheet (e.g. [translated from the german datasheet]: perfect for scanning and projecting).

You have good connections to Rollei / Maco. Do you know, what this statement in the datasheet is based on?

Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You have good connections to Rollei / Maco. Do you know, what this statement in the datasheet is based on?
    We have good connections all over in the photo industry.
    However we were surprised as well for this Rollei SD film. So I am afraid I can not answer your question now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So there is an Anti-Newton layer in the film, that's rather strange. Is that for the purpose of scanning?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
    We have good connections all over in the photo industry.
    However we were surprised as well for this Rollei SD film. So I am afraid I can not answer your question now.
    Thanks, Robert. I'm really looking forward to your conclusions.

Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Whats the B&W equivalent to Cibachrome?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any idea if the B&W direct positive will be available in sheets?

Thanks,
    Jo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin