Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,988   Online: 1053

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AGFA Rumor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edz View Post
    Rollei make nothing. They are a branding company located in Berlin whose main (intellectual) property is the "Rollei brand" which gets liberally applied to an assortment of cheap Chinese digital cameras.

The Rollei film is just branded "Rollei". Its really OrWo/Forte (Filmotec) or Agfa film cut down and processed by either Forte or the remains of Tura and sold under the "Rollei" brand.

The Agfa Photo brand for cameras has, however, been "sold" and shall soon adorn cheap Chinese digital cameras.. competing with the cheap Chinese digital cameras under the Rollei, Minox (which, however, in contrast to Rollei and Agfa still make good German cameras and high end sports optics such as binoculars), Voigtlaender (which belongs to Ringfoto and is only licensed to Cosina for use in branding their Bessa camera line) and other once glorious brands.
    Do you think I can sell my glorious family name (Georg Adolf Von Truten Excalibur Richelieu De la Patelle Don Carlos Heusenberg-Benz Mc Trout) to a Chinese company to use as they want (for the branding of Cigars, or Condoms ??) ???

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by edz View Post
    Rollei make nothing.
    Not exactly. Don't forget Rollei Frank & Heidecke, who make excellent cameras. But when it comes to film, you're right. They (and Maco) are 'converters', that is, they buy their film in 'pancakes' cut from mother rolls and repackage them for consumer use. They say their films are currently sourced from Agfa (the last few mother rolls), Agfa-Gavaert (allegedly still coating aerial films in Belgium) and elsewhere.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Not exactly. Don't forget Rollei Frank & Heidecke, who make excellent cameras.
    No doubt about that, but that's Franke & Heidecke, not Rollei anymore.
    Heck, they even have to pay licence fees to be allowed to name their cameras "Rolleiflex" (as Maco pays to name their films "Rollei". Two completly independable companys, and IMHO the F&H guys did well to seperate from the Berlin part, which is downsizeing ATM.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Kolinski View Post
    No doubt about that, but that's Franke & Heidecke, not Rollei anymore.
    Franke & Heidecke is a NEW company with a reborn name making reborn versions of once glorious cameras that sold under the F+H brand. The Frankes bought out the Heideckes in 1966 and the company became by 1979 Rollei-Werke Franke & Heidecke to better exploit the "Rollei" brand... and then brankrupt.. and abroad.. and eventually just "Rollei"... um.. Rollei Fototechnik.. with or without Koreans (Samsung).. Managment buy-out.. Back to Germany.. and a few years ago.. a split within the management buy-out.. the guys with the pencils to Berlin leaving the die-hards behind in Braunschweig... where some grand children could to found to re-apply again the Franke & Heidecke name to.. um.. cameras..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...Europe is a confusing place.
    It's pretty sad to see all these beloved brands being killed, burried, and then dug up and carried off during the night to be tacked on to some lame product though. Again, globalisation for you I guess (taking Business Studies makes it easier to complain).

But a lot of thanks to Christopher Nisperos for relaying all that information for us, maybe APUG should be sending it's own reporters to these shows.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    ... a lot of thanks to Christopher Nisperos for relaying all that information for us, maybe APUG should be sending it's own reporters to these shows.
    Fleath, you're more than welcome. Just because you're 'down under' shouldn't mean you won't get the news that's 'over the top'! But seriously, I figure that that's part of the value of a forum such as this. I'll try to do the same, next Photokina (no promises!). Ironically —if I have the mind do a more thorough report— I'll surely bring along a digital camera to make photographs and post immediately on this forum. In fact, the Photokina press office is equipped with computers which are hooked-up online, so it's even possible to make photographs and write news to send to y'all within minutes of seeing the latest stuff!

I'll wait for my satellite-dish backpack to arrive, though, so I can send news directly from the convention floor. (second thought, perhaps the convention floor is already covered by WiFi ... Roger Hicks ((you there, Rog?)) would know more about this than I).

Interesting scenario, by the way. I wouldn't be surprised if this method of news gathering & news dissemination becomes a norm someday soon. I guess we're pretty close to it already.

Meanwhile, for a more complete report, look for Roger's, wherever it's due to appear, as he has —as usual— thoroughly scoured Photokina for the juiciest tidbits of info .. and maybe even a little gossip! (Ahem .. I mean confirmed stories).

Best,

Christopher
    Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 10-06-2006 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Forbes View Post
    I heard a rumor that there's been an announcement at Photokina that AGFA has been taken over and will be producing film again.

Anyone able to verify this? No info on the AGFA site at this point.
    Can't verify any rumors. I did write to Simon at Ilford, however, and received a reply from him that I think is interesting. Being a rabid Agfa MCC Classic fan, I asked Simon if Ilford might not be able to achieve a similar look by marrying their MGWarmtone emulsion to a brighter white base, similar to that used by Agfa or to their own MGFB.

He replied that obviously Ilford could do this, but doubted whether there would be enough of a market to warrant it. Maybe if Ilford heard from all the bummed Agfa MCC fans out there, they'd rethink the matter. IMO their Warmtone emulsion is beautiful; but the paper base is too yellow for many subjects. It was that combination of warm emulsion/cool base that made Agfa such an outstanding choice for nearly any subject. And it could be warmed or cooled even further with choice of developer and/or toner.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just as a side note to all of this, I'm wondering how "Agfa" could be started up again after the auction of their US and German assets.

Having the formulas is one thing, but having the plant and people to make them is another. Or having the people is nice, but no plant or formulas would be a real stumbling block.

Therefore, reviving a 'real' Agfa product may be very difficult given the present circumstances. IDK, who has what or what the status of any of this is either.

If someone purchased the plant and formulas, then they would be a long way along to being able to revive the products, but without that, it would be a long haul and gamble to rely on a given product. I would guess that the revived products would be good, but would be rather 'ersatz', and I don't mean that in any bad way or as a criticism, but I'm sure that the real enthusiasts for Agfa products would see the differences.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
    marrying their MGWarmtone emulsion to a brighter white base, similar to that used by Agfa or to their own MGFB.

He replied that obviously Ilford could do this, but doubted whether there would be enough of a market to warrant it. Maybe if Ilford heard from all the bummed Agfa MCC fans out there, they'd rethink the matter.
    Larry
    Excellent point Larry

At Focus on Imaging this year (UK trade show) I looked closely at Ilford's Warm Tone paper again but I just don't like its base colour. I began using Agfa Record Rapid (Portriga) 20 years ago progressing to Agfa MCC, at the time Ilford made no warm tone papers.

I looked hard at what I would use instead and only one warm tone paper met my requirements - Forte Polywarmtone, also sold as Berger & Classic Arts etc.

Both Kentmere & Ilfords warm toned papers are excellent but just were not quite what I want.

It has been posted elsewhere on this website that J&C have an interest in setting up a new coating facility, for film & paper
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30761

Perhaps this is what has started a rumour of Agfa materials becoming available again. I mean the fact that coating machinery has been acquired, most probably from Agfa, rather than John's post on APUG

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-07-2006 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add some clarification

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, the source here I would consider not reliable and kind of a joke actually, but here's the link:

http://www.lomography.com/news/news2...agfa&Submit=GO

I was at the Photokina today and I found out that the complete Agfa business has been taken over and is COMPLETELY running again!
    I'm sure some of you already knew this but this is to everyone who didn't know it yet. Fresh Agfa products are on the way!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin