Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Tri-X... whatever's left of it

Things I still use from the Big Yellow House in the west have by now been pared down to three: what's left of my Technical Pan coming out of my freezer, HC110 goop, and the trusted and lovely Tri-X films.

Now I now we are all prepared for a shrinking market for traditional B&W products, with the ensuing effect on the prices they need to fetch for production to remain viable... but

I realized I'm through my stock of 120 film in 400TX and go to my usual supplier to re-order. It has been about 6 months since the last time I stocked up. Now I'm looking at €4.25 a piece! That's $5 a roll!!! That's also more than twice the price of HP5. Thinking my dealer had been smoking too much, well, stuff... I checked B&H and the proportions are about the same.

$5 per roll of 400TX basically means I am going to make alot of effort to get that HP5 working for me. I just hope my HC110 doesn't run out soon!

At what point of niche market pricing, do you start to feel the pinch?
    < /rant >
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi View Post
    That's also more than twice the price of HP5. Thinking my dealer had been smoking too much, well, stuff... I checked B&H and the proportions are about the same.
    As of right now, B&H lists 120 HP5 Plus for $2.75, TX for $2.95 and TXP for $3.19.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ok, so I exagerate a little...

But my normal supplier is showing 4.15 for 400TX vs 2.75 for HP5. If I go to France and ProPhot, you've got 4.50 for the 400TX (admittedly the HP5 is expensive too there)... SilverPrint has 400TX at 2.76 GBP vs 2.02 for the HP5

That's not a cheap roll of Tri-X. I recall paying € 2.50 about... not long ago.:o
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi View Post
    $5 per roll of 400TX basically means I am going to make alot of effort to get that HP5 working for me. I just hope my HC110 doesn't run out soon!

At what point of niche market pricing, do you start to feel the pinch?
    < /rant >
    It cost about $4.25 here in Rochester. This isn't a big deal - as the 400CN is about $3.80 per roll. Ilford is about the same, IF you can get it ....

Anyway - just back my first roll of Tri-X and I can understand what the fuss is about - it's really nice - and the shadows and highlights seem to saturate rather softly, and what grain there is (not a ton), is very pleasant.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finding Ilford here in Rochester is very difficult (wonder why!), maybe Rochester Photgraphic has it. I love Tri-X, so am looking for a killer deal on 100ft bulk in 35mm. The Kodak store (for employee purchases) wants $42 for it, and it's ... special order. That price isn't all that good compared to Freestyle or some others.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also noticed that price tendency in the UK... At 7 daysshop the TriX 120 is now more expensive (£2.15) than Astia 100F (£1.95) -- thats kind of a wierd thing to notice I know, but it seems to me that Astia is a bit more complicated to manufacture !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    Finding Ilford here in Rochester is very difficult (wonder why!), maybe Rochester Photgraphic has it. I love Tri-X, so am looking for a killer deal on 100ft bulk in 35mm. The Kodak store (for employee purchases) wants $42 for it, and it's ... special order. That price isn't all that good compared to Freestyle or some others.
    Rochester Photographic has Ilford (bought Delta 100, 400, 3200 there), so does RIT Campus Connection (bought HP5 there). The skinny about RIT is that the store is being taken over by Barnes and Noble - so they think the photo store will be shutting down (damn shame, really) in December.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't blame Kodak but blame the EU. I suspect that US products are highly taxed. At one time Kodak had manufacturing in Europe which keep prices down, but that has since been closed. The prices here in the US for HP5+ and Tri-X are comparable.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch View Post
    Don't blame Kodak but blame the EU. I suspect that US products are highly taxed. At one time Kodak had manufacturing in Europe which keep prices down, but that has since been closed. The prices here in the US for HP5+ and Tri-X are comparable.
    The import duty on most finished film products is 5.8% and that applies both ways. It's a fairly high duty rate compared to other goods, but not enough to explain vastly different retail prices.

I have some old T-Max 100 film "Made in England"...
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    The import duty on most finished film products is 5.8% and that applies both ways. It's a fairly high duty rate compared to other goods, but not enough to explain vastly different retail prices.

I have some old T-Max 100 film "Made in England"...
    May be the Kodak of Europe charging more.

Mamiya of America charges considerably more for their cameras than elsewhere - for not rationla reason that because they think they can.

It may come down to that. It could also be that Ilford is discounting their prices to "buy" some market share from Kodak, too.

Well, sorry to hear that the prices aren't the same - will it cause you to switch?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin