Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 755

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Canadian Colleges and Universities that offer photography

I'm trying to assemble a list of Canadian Colleges and University's that offer full time "Photography" courses. I tried using the internet but would have to sift through every schools website to find out. I thought this might be easier.

I know that Sheridan College offers photography, Loyalist offers photojournalism, since I taught there in the past, and Conestoga offers photography in the Journalism program.

Ryerson has a fine art program also.

Could you let me know of any other schools.... out west or east.

Thanks.

-Rob Skeoch
    www.BigCameraWorkshops.com
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) in Halifax has a good program, you can do a 4 year BFA in photography with them. Excellent analog support still. They have 2 B&W "gang" darkrooms that can all handle up to 4x5. I think 8 colour darkrooms, 2 of which are setup for mural printing. Both the B&W darkrooms have Ilford dry to dry processors for RC printing and also have sinks for tray processing. For colour they have a Hope RA-4 dry to dry processor. They also have a good lighting studio. I gather their digital (I know it's a dirty word here) facilities are pretty good too but I haven't had the chance to use them as I've only taken advantage of their continuing education courses.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ottawa U and Concordia U in Montreal have FA programs, Rob. Dawson Gollege (Mtl) as well as Algonquin College and La Cite Collegiale in Ottawa have commercial programs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Langara College in Vancouver offers a Photog program. You can take the whole program for a diploma or just your pick of courses. I'd go if it weren't for the hour and half drive each way every week.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fanshaw in London ON

Try Fanshaw in London Ontario?

What ever it takes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, that reminds me, Nova Scotia Community College also has a photo program, more focused on commercial work where NSCAD is more fine art focused, but I think it's exclusively digital now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Confederation College here in Thunder Bay has a Film Production Program. Each student in the program has the opportunity to make a few short films during the course of the program. Real film in real film cameras (16mm). It's fun watching the film students making a film out on the campus with all the gear, steadycams, wagons, sound gear, etc. There is also a three year multimedia program. Students from both programs must take two photography courses which include traditional silver based black and white still photography and all their own darkroom work.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Warning: Blatant self promotion....

PrairieView in Winnipeg is a small private photography college. I think it's great! (but then again, I should. I own it).

We offer a ten month diploma program that includes lots of analogue stuff throughout the year (trad. b+w, colour, alt processes, large format) as well as the usual digi stuff.

http://www.prairieview.ca/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have a BC member who helps run a Photography school here in vancouver. Maybe he'll post a response...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    Langara College in Vancouver offers a Photog program. You can take the whole program for a diploma or just your pick of courses. I'd go if it weren't for the hour and half drive each way every week.
    I went to Langara and although the instructors were very knowledgable, I found the very limited darkroom access (maybe 7-8 hours a week in the fulltime program) very hindering. They said that limited time working on your assignments helped you get ready for the real world, but I think it was really because there wasn't enough space... Although I think the part time programs maybe would have been a better idea for me. I enjoyed the presentation from the photojournalism teacher and wish I'd have taken that course, but I barely had enough time to eat or sleep as it was!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin