Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,431   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh you stubborn Norwegians, why don't you join the EU, so you'll be able to pay cheaper shipping fees from Germany ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know about 8x10, but 4x5 is available here in Wellington, colour neg and positive.

A bit pricey mind, and cheaper to order from the US. Prices from Europe can also be competitive, quite often lower than from the US, as we don't have to pay the VAT (being outside of the EU). Shipping from Europe is often quite a bit cheaper than from the US - no idea why!.

With B+W film, it is cheaper for me to order from the UK and have it sent to NZ, than it was to order the same film and have it sent to NL!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the current low Dollar I just buy from B+H. They ship as quickly as any of the EU suppliers, and even with Moms and the postage you come out well ahead.

If you need pro service and turnaround - or can't wait - places like YFO, Kameradoktorn and Prolabbet/Procenter all have sheet film in stock, although 8x10 is rarer than 4x5. Fuji Sweden have always been helpful when I have tried to source oddball sizes or emulsions, so you can always contact them directly if you cannot get what you want at the usual pro shops. There are also local-only suppliers like Bildteknik in Malmö who are almost perverse in their lack of advertising, but who have sheet film in stock if you actually go there and look in the fridge.

Ask around. The university photo and repro people here in Lund have always been very helpful when I have needed local info, especially after a few minutes' idle chat about LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome E100G, 8x10, 10 sheets:
    YFO: SEK 1492 + 25% (special order)
    B+H: SEK 586 + postage + 25% (in stock)

Not a hard choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, this is what I found too. After a quick check I found 3 domestic and 6 European dealers, all with film in stock. But the feller with which I am debaiting claims that the films are so rarely actually available, that they might as well be regarded as discontinued for all intents and purpouses.

Which triggered my BS-o-meter.

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sweden is a small market with low turnover and many layers of distribution. The pros just stump up the asking price, and the snapshooters are happy with super-low price mail-order processing, but there is no real equivalent to the "advanced amatuer" type of service you find in larger markets.

I have some sympathy with retailers here (although not the ones who bullshit). They have high overheads, high sales tax, and high staff costs. Here in Lund we have a very good consumer photo shop (Mattssons) who seem to have effectively made the transition to profitably selling digital equipment and print-making services, but who also are prepared to dig through the catalogues and special-order anything I want. The problem is the distributors who vary from great to dreadful in their level of service, and always take a cut that makes local purchases uneconomic.

My impression is that the sheet film pros have almost entirely gone digital. Ikea used to order a batch of five lorry-loads of film from Fuji each year. No more. We amatuers who clung pimple-like to the backside of that industry cannot do so any more.

But. While efficient mail-order suppliers exist elsewhere in the world, the pain is mostly felt by local shops who would otherwise have a captive market. For me in Lund, buying from B+H is no more hassle than buying from anyone else, be they in Sweden, Europe or Japan.

One more tip: for Fuji film you might want to look at

http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am in the US and do most of my film buying from B&H, Midwest and Badger but I also buy from Nord, especially 13x18 as hey seem to have more in stock more of the time ... additionally, there are many more emulsions available in 13x18 than in 5x7.

BTW, we published a comprehensive chart of all available sheet film sizes last January and I am in the midsts of updating it now. If anyone has info on the availability of either Lucky or ERA films in shet sizes I'd appreciate a pointer to same.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am in the US and do most of my film buying from B&H, Midwest and Badger but I also buy from Nord, especially 13x18 as hey seem to have more in stock more of the time ... additionally, there are many more emulsions available in 13x18 than in 5x7.

BTW, we published a comprehensive chart of all available sheet film sizes last January and I am in the midst of updating it now. If anyone has info on the availability of either Lucky or ERA films in sheet sizes I'd appreciate a pointer to same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload films I use need to be mail ordered, since local stock is often limited. I ony shoot E-6 films, though it might be of interest that no pro labs locally do C-41 4x5 processing. My most used mail order locations are B&H in New York, and Badger Graphic Sales in Wisconsin. Outside of those two, I sometimes find good deals on shortdated films on EBAY, though more Fuji than Kodak to be found there.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    4X5 certainly seems pretty readily availble in the UK, I know Calumet has it in the fridge, both neg and pos. My local lab also has it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin