Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,249   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How is the availabilty of 4x5 and 8x10 colour film?

I'm thinking of Ektachrome, Provia, and Velvia here.
    Local sources claims that it is nigh on impossible to buy large format pos. colour nowadays. What say you?

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're willing to go international, B&H in NYC has 4x5 Provia, Velvia and various Ektachrome products in stock, and Provia and various Ektachrome in 8x10 in stock.

They show a total of 11 different color transparency emulsions in 4x5 and 7 in 8x10. Several of these are also available in Readyload/Quickload for 4x5.

How long they will be around is a different question.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Your local sorces are wrong. You may have to mail-order, but with internet that's easier than it's ever been.

I've bought various stuff from www.nordfoto.de - good prices, and cheaper shipping than from the USA. They list several colour positive films in 4x5", 9x12cm, 13x18cm and 8x10".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know about Sweden, but I can walk in to Pictureline in Salt Lake, and in short order purchase all three in 4x5, including 64T. I suspect your "local sources" may have a personal agenda.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H is your`re best bet, and the most reasonably priced alternative.
    Thanks for the Nordfoto link Ole, they still have some Agfa in stock I see, and reasonable prices.
    Except on anything 8x10. A 50-sheet box of b&w film still comes out 500kr cheaper from B&H(!) What is it with Europe and 8x10?
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, your sources are kinda misinformed. Even here in South Australia I could get Velvia and Ektachrome out of the fridge at the local pro lab, and at a competitive price. The internet has made things much easier for photographers to source materials though, so basically it's just a Google search away at worst - Or a quick query here at APUG.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amund View Post
    Except on anything 8x10. A 50-sheet box of b&w film still comes out 500kr cheaper from B&H(!) What is it with Europe and 8x10?
    I think that may be historical...

Europe (an Germany in particular) used to be "metric" - 9x12, 13x18, 18x24 and so on. In recent years more and more have switched to the "imperial" sizes - 4x5", 5x7", 8x10". Unfortunately this coincided with the switch to d*g*tal... So with more and more colour films being scanned, the advantage of 8x10" over the smaller sizes pretty much disappeared. And so did 18x24cm, without being replaced with 8x10".

Personally I'm happy as long a I can get 13x18 colour film - I buy B&W in 5x7" and colour in 13x18. Two sets of holders, and I'm never in any doubt as to which holder holds which film!
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When last I was in Detroit I was told by the folks at Adray (troy) and Camera Mart that kodak's min order requirements make stocking lf and even roll film a problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Didn't know about Nordfoto. Are they cheaper than Fotoimpex ?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Relative prices vary, but at least I've found Nordfoto to be extremely quick! They have a rather high minimum order (especially to customers outside the EU), but with prices being what they are I don't really find that a problem
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin