Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,627   Online: 914

View Poll Results: If film dies but printing is analogue.

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will never happen !

57 45.60%
  • If ALL aspects of film capture are replicated , no problem.

13 10.40%
  • I would give up on photography or go totally digital.

6 4.80%
  • I would find some way of making my own plates.

49 39.20%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If sketching with charcoal dies, will you mix your own oils?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would kill myself with a spoon
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A spoon? - Ouch!

The process itself is what I enjoy, and if film ever disappeared while I was alive (unlikely) I would simply switch to a historical process like Calotype, or learn to coat my own plates. I have no interest in digital photography, or in working digital into my work flow, nor I am not at all concerned about film going away before I do.

- Randy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Speaking as someone who started with film a few years ago, switched completely to digital, and has now abandoned digital in favour of film, I would probably look at the historic processes and work with those. I sit in front of a pc all day, I dont want to look at a screen when I relax.

Coating my own plates sounds like a good option. Or there is always Ari's spoon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

I love Curt's responce!

I am in the same boat -- I have too many negatives in boxes that are getting ignored because of the ones in the holders that are waiting development and printing!

Supposively there is a camera-speed cyanotype process out there, though what to do with a blue negative is a head-scratcher. Photographers have been inventors in the past, so would continue to invent (are still doing so) given a need.

vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't anybody at all worried about archival permanence?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think (hope) that there will will always be a demand for silver-halide materials. There are enough of us around to keep the medium going IMHO. Whilst I could go completely digital and have the requisite equipment, I much prefer the darkroom.
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only problem I see in the DIY approach is going to be getting autochrome plates rolled onto spools to use in the TLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If electronic picture making was the only thing known most folks could not care less; except at APUG it seems!

Sean is right. There is something unique and special happening when something that was part of the subject leaves it, travels across space, goes through a lens, and makes a picture of itself on an actual sensitive physical surface.

That this happens directly and only from the energy donated by the subject matter and without anything entering and re-emerging from cyberspace is sublimely wonderful.

If photography had never been invented we would have to invent it.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Less and less...

Quote Originally Posted by Jojje View Post
    Isn't anybody at all worried about archival permanence?
    Generally speaking, no. Speaking to a professor friend of mine, she said that for an assignment, a student showed her a digital image that had been way over-sharpened. She suggested that he go back to the original file and correct it -- but he said he had already deleted it. Hmmmmmmm.

Another example...someone took a snap of a child with his digital camera and showed the child the image on the camera's screen. The kid was thrilled, but when the fellow offered to print it for the child, the child said, "Why? I've already seen it."

A society flooded with images (and the flood just's starting) tends not to see the need to save any of them.

My prints will last a half millinium or two -- as long as the paper they are on doesn't fall apart. Kinda of scary -- a bad print of mine could be looked at mid-millinium and I can almost hear them say, "This carbon print from the early days of photography is a classic example of work that should have been tossed out centuries ago. But we keep it because it is old."

vaughn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin