Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,996   Online: 843

View Poll Results: If film dies but printing is analogue.

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will never happen !

57 45.60%
  • If ALL aspects of film capture are replicated , no problem.

13 10.40%
  • I would give up on photography or go totally digital.

6 4.80%
  • I would find some way of making my own plates.

49 39.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What would you do ?

Just imaginre the following scenario, not an impossible one.
    - In about 10-15 years time CCD technology is such that all of the qualities of film (tonal range, latitude, 'feel' etc.) are capable of emulation by affordable digital cameras. The processing of images using digital/analogue conversion enlargers (as in colour labs) is also affordable by those on median incomes.
    In other words you can still print in the same way as you would now but the capture medium is now digital but the output is analogue.

-I assume that you have not become the latest inhabitant of some 'retirement manor' or gone to whatever destination fits with your beliefs (ironic PC in case you hadn't noticed )

Would you still be an enthusiastic printer, would you give up and take up some other means of spending money or another choice ? Just interested to know .
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't imagine it ever happening, but voted for making my own plates if it does. CCD & software might be able to emulate film to a high degree but it can't provide 1 important feature, and that's a tangible object that was burned by the light of that exact moment. That's one thing I love about film capture, just seems more real to me than something that is converted to 1's & 0's vanishing into a virtual existence.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Personaly I can't imagine not being able to go into a darkroom, smell the chemicals, feel them at my fingertips and see the image apeer as if by magic. And the thought that I had some small part of it getting there. When this is no longer possible then whats the point. For me it's the prosses. Film is the only way I prefer to get it there.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Sean, I'd just find a way to do things my own way if something like that ever happened. I've been around computers since I was 2, and I dont trust them as far as I can throw them.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I thought film photography was already a niche market supported by afficianados of the medium who simply prefer it for many reasons?

If not - it soon will be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Since my pleasure comes from the craft, I would make my own film and paper, or do wet plate. I have used digital cameras, and print3ed digitally - neither of which interests me in the least.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They managed to do some great photography in the 19th century before the commercial manufacture of film and paper. There's no reason we can't do it in the 21st century.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even though you are postulating complete analog emulation, just knowing that I'd be using a software designer's algorithm would send me headlong into making my own plates. People like Ron Mowry are going to end up being heroes to those of us who just won't go down that road. My wife and I are headed in the direction of solar plate photogravure anyway (we already have the intaglio press which is 'hard' part) and that will open up a host of interesting explorations that I can't wait to delve into.

If your scenario were to come to pass, it'd be fun to imagine the ad slogans:

"Just like the real thing!" "Photography's Golden Age can now be yours to recreate effortlessly in your study or family room!" "You too can be Ansel Adams with just a few mouse clicks!"

YIKES!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Anyone who's tried one of those "Tri-X plugins" for Photoshop or a software tube amp emulator knows it ain't happening anytime soon.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have such a back log of negatives that I could spend the rest of my life just printing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin