Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,669   Online: 772

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We are becoming a service economy producing such services as sales people, waiters and waitresses, and hamburger flippers. Oh, and actors, actresses, sports heros and attorneys.

Our doctors are Indian, Pakistani and etc. And very good I might add. But there are about 6% fewer here due to the costs of running a doctors office including malpractice insurance.

Many of our major scientists are Asian and European.

Our schools are a wreck. We teach at HS level what the French learn in grade school. We teach for an MS what the Japanese learn for a BS. I got this from an undersecretary to the Japanese minister of education.

We cancelled the new top of the line supercollider that would put us in the forefront of physics and the Hubble telescope was manufactured improperly. The first Mars orbiter crashed due to errors in calculations.

I could go on. But why? If we are not careful, we will be a third world country and if you don't believe me read history. Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Most Americans (most, not *you* of course, whoever *you* may be ) that deride Europeans for their six weeks of vacation and their two-hour, cafe lunches have never been across the pond to witness the quality of life that's possible in a culture where people work to live, rather than live to work...who put time with family ahead of having three large cars and a half-dozen televisions...and who haven't let themselves become slaves to corporations that have propogandized their workers to be proud of a mythical "AMERICAN work ethic." I finally made the trip and I didn't feel derisive when I left Europe. I felt unconsolably envious.

Most Americans that ditifully accept all the "greatest country on earth" stuff have *nothing* to compare it to.

I love my country. I'm a patriot. That's why I'm always thinking about how we can make America better.

I agree with your sentiments. I worked in Italy for 6 months back in 2001 and would gladly go back.

As I said, productivity numbers are one thing...but there is a tradeoff between "quantity of life" and "quality of life" and most people in the USA do not take pause to note the difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX FOTOIMPEX View Post
    The current expected timeframes are: Sample review in March, first test coatings on a production line from a batch of more than 500 liters of emulsion: Mai.
    These first production line samples can then be handed out to selected knowledgeable fine printers to get multiple feed back.

Mirko
    The best news from the photographic front I've heard for months! I have been using Agfa papers for more than 40 years from monograde fiber to MMC112 and anything between and really know how they feel in the darkroom. Sign me up for a batch! If they are coming to the market I surely will try to use them for the next 40 years if I make it. But I am quite confident they will as I have done business with Fotoimpex.de before and I know they deliver!
    Have you seen the light..?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    We are becoming a service economy producing such services as sales people, waiters and waitresses, and hamburger flippers. Oh, and actors, actresses, sports heros and attorneys.

Our doctors are Indian, Pakistani and etc. And very good I might add. But there are about 6% fewer here due to the costs of running a doctors office including malpractice insurance.

Many of our major scientists are Asian and European.

Our schools are a wreck. We teach at HS level what the French learn in grade school. We teach for an MS what the Japanese learn for a BS. I got this from an undersecretary to the Japanese minister of education.

We cancelled the new top of the line supercollider that would put us in the forefront of physics and the Hubble telescope was manufactured improperly. The first Mars orbiter crashed due to errors in calculations.

I could go on. But why? If we are not careful, we will be a third world country and if you don't believe me read history. Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it!

PE
    Not only in your neck of the woods PE. I haven't been able to buy anything made in North America for some time, including machinery. Definitely not a vehicle. Most of the quality printing paper here now is European and they don't even have trees.
    When something proper is done, such as liberating the people of Grenada from a despotic regime and spiked runways, the bleeding hearts label it an invasion.
    In order to have a deja vu replay of the Roman Empire all we need is to rely on a mercenary army.
    Just my rant for today
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    In order to have a deja vu replay of the Roman Empire all we need is to rely on a mercenary army.
    Mark
    We already are. The US is "outsourcing" "security forces" in Iraq. That's Bushspeak for "mercenaries." And it leads to absurd results, in too many ways to begin to catalogue them here. Not to mention the loss of accountability.

Don't get me started.

Sanders

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Let's try to keep this to information about Agfa paper and its reinvention. There are plenty of other places to talk politics.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry David. You are right of course. Maybe this has run its course and should be closed? IDK, but we have strayed pretty far afield.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, if it doesn't get dragged into the SoapBox or require further moderation, then it would be nice to leave it open for updates from Mirko or anyone else with real information.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sorry David. You are right of course. Maybe this has run its course and should be closed? IDK, but we have strayed pretty far afield.

PE
    I guess its a pass for me too. As of tomorrow I'll be sitting on the beach sipping Dr Beers.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree we should keep this open for the sake of updates from Mirko...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin