Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,634   Online: 887

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Arrrrggg!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    So was this posted to cheer us up during the holiday season?

Jeez, Louise, what is the purpose for posting this stuff anyway?
    Only one thing to say....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NHOkTldb7gVUFPVdJGOwxf9stD38.jpg  
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yet Another... *sigh*

My Wife (she wrote the story) just informed me of the demise of Century Camera in Royal Oak, Michigan. One of the last few places from the golden photographic years here in the Detroit area. I remember shooters stacked at the counters waiting for service. You even used to have to take a number. Ahh..... ch-ch-ch-cha- changes.... only 2 to go. Heading out to "pick the bones" tomorrow.

Bill

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    On a positive note, Rockbrook Camera, the area's only surviving independent camera shop, has just recently opened up a SECOND branch in Omaha, making a total of three shops in the Omaha-Lincoln (Nebraska, US) area.

Yeah, yeah, they do stock a lot of {d-word} stuff, but they do have a good selection of yellow and green box film. (I just wish they were more competitive on the common Fuji films, as I would rather buy from a place like that than Wally World.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    My Wife (she wrote the story) just informed me of the demise of Century Camera in Royal Oak, Michigan. One of the last few places from the golden photographic years here in the Detroit area. I remember shooters stacked at the counters waiting for service. You even used to have to take a number. Ahh..... ch-ch-ch-cha- changes.... only 2 to go. Heading out to "pick the bones" tomorrow.

Bill
    I stopped by there yesterday, Bill. There doesn't seem to be a lot of bones left to pick. In recent times, their strengh was in the lighting equipment and its going fast. There still seems to be a selection of aftermarket lenses for 35mm and some cases.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    I stopped by there yesterday, Bill. There doesn't seem to be a lot of bones left to pick.
    Thanks Bob... I'll give it a shot anyway just to make one last trip.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    On a positive note, Rockbrook Camera, the area's only surviving independent camera shop, has just recently opened up a SECOND branch in Omaha, making a total of three shops in the Omaha-Lincoln (Nebraska, US) area.

Yeah, yeah, they do stock a lot of {d-word} stuff, but they do have a good selection of yellow and green box film. (I just wish they were more competitive on the common Fuji films, as I would rather buy from a place like that than Wally World.)

Jeez, and Dean's couldn't keep one store open...I remember when they had a great old store downtown.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, we all bemoan the passing of these stores. But do any of us give all, and I mean all, of our business to the local shops? How often do we just go in to browse. Or play with a new lens or camera and then go on ebay or order from B&H. Here's a reason Calumet is going digital. Don't kid yourselves, Calumet will be out of the film business before long. When was the last time anyone bought equipment new when it's available on eBay for so much less money? I worked in our local camera store in the mid 80's and saw this happen even then. People would come in to ask questions and get advice and then order from the New York discount stores in Popular Photography or from the ads in Shutterbug. We're now getting what we created.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Jeez, and Dean's couldn't keep one store open...I remember when they had a great old store downtown.
    The Deans I remember was out at about 114th and Dodge, and closed a couple years ago. One version I heard was that the construction in the area was bad for business, but another story was that nobody wanted to continue running the business so they liquidated and closed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    ......the demise of Century Camera in Royal Oak, Michigan. One of the last few places from the golden photographic years here in the Detroit area.
    I didn't know this. Truly a pity. I used to frequent this store back in the 70s, while going to college.

I fear for Adray Photo in Dearborn too. While they still have a decent selection of darkroom stuff, film, etc. I can imagine they're also feeling the effects of the internet. On the plus side, you can still buy medium format gear there (at truly low prices) as well as Leica 35mm gear. I hope they make it, the Detroit area needs at least one fully-equipped photo store.

Jim Bielecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    But do any of us give all, and I mean all, of our business to the local shops? How often do we just go in to browse. Or play with a new lens or camera and then go on ebay or order from B&H.
    I can only speak for myself and say yes. My local camera shop is Adray in Dearborn. I have been going there for many years... and actually worked in the camera department from 1977-78. They have been very good to me, give me a very good discount and make it worth my time and money to go there. I do this because I want them to stay open. Nothing pisses me off more than people that use local retailers for information only to spend their money online somewhere else when ready to buy. Don't get me wrong though. I do go online for all the things I cannot get locally, but if they have it here, I will go there first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    Don't kid yourselves, Calumet will be out of the film business before long.
    Actually I think it is you who are kidding yourself. As long as there is film, which will be for a very long time to come, Calumet will be carrying it. I have seen enough positive statistics about film lately, particularly black and white, to calm any fear it is going away soon. Have you looked at any statistics on Digital sales as of late? You should. They are way down from last year alone. It is photography that is dying and not just film.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin