Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,526   Online: 1006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Another One Bites The Dust

Today was the last day in business for Reeds Camera in Walnut Creek, CA. While not one of my favorites it has been around for a long, long time. That really only leaves The Looking Glass in Berkley as the nearest store for film and paper.

They were having an "everything must go sale" not much left by the time U got there but I did manage to pick up some bargains for a give-away price.

10 4x5 film hangers, a linear polarizer, original square lenshood for 65mm Mamiya-Sekor lens, pack of Dupont Defender Arrow Pan (expired in January 1948), a pack of Kodak Super Panchro Press (expired in August 1954) and a Super-XX Film Pack (expired in February 1952) and a mint condition Polariod 110A with a 127mm f/4.5 Wollensak Raptar lens all for $10.00 - quite sad really.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While not in my neighborhood even I have heard of Reeds Camera in Walnut Creek. Too bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was reading an article about Defender Arrow Pan in an old textbook a few days ago, strange. But very sad to see another store go, and clearly quite a good one as well. I'm lucky to have several in my nearest city.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So was this posted to cheer us up during the holiday season?

Jeez, Louise, what is the purpose for posting this stuff anyway?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    So was this posted to cheer us up during the holiday season?

Jeez, Louise, what is the purpose for posting this stuff anyway?
    I made the announcement because in the East Bay (SFBay Area) this was the nearest full service camera store for miles. Many students purchase their supplies at this store and hopefully this will prevent many wasted journies.

After all the Forum is Product Availability - albeit no more

Happy Holidays

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very sad news... very sad, indeed.

Images
    I'll take the contrarian's view on this one! We lost nothing here. Reed's long ago abandoned photography. My best guess is that they have had less than 10% of the available retail space offering products related to analog for several years now.

They were trying to slosh it out with all of the mass pixelography distribution channels and lost. They were trying to sell mass market digi-stuff at high mark-up. Really quite predictable. Their greatest asset was non-photographic, retail frontage in one of the Bay areas hottest retail areas. They should have leased the building to another type of retailer, downsized and relocated ages ago.

The Looking Glass has been the area's "go to" photo retailer for a long time now!

Cheers,
    Geary
    Last edited by galyons; 12-21-2006 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by galyons View Post
    I'll take the contrarian's view on this one! We lost nothing here. Reed's long ago abandoned photography. My best guess is that they have had less than 10% of the available retail space offering products related to analog for several years now.

They were trying to slosh it out with all of the mass pixelography distribution channels and lost. They were trying to sell mass market digi-stuff at high mark-up. Really quite predictable. Their greatest asset was non-photographic, retail frontage in one of the Bay areas hottest retail areas. They should have leased the building to another type of retailer, downsized and relocated ages ago.

The Looking Glass has been the areas's "go to" photo retailer for a long time now!

Cheers,
    Geary
    Thank you.

My earlier point was simply that these kinds of threads offer nothing not already known to those who need to know - and are just a "downer".

This is a global website and the demise of a particular photog store in one location is irrelevant to the vast majority of us. As noted, poor marketing, mistaken strategy of trying to compete with the "box stores" on digis etc. explains much. Competing uses for valuable urban shopping space explains the rest!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Uuummm, actually, I didn't know and I was going to head over there this weekend for supplies. So, I am happy for the heads up.

IT
    "Since the fact that we exist at all is nothing more than banal, we might just as well make something grand out of it …"

Francis Bacon

http://www.williamlinne.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am fortunate to live in an area with a couple of healthy photo retailers. I remember Travis from Richmond VA commenting at the APUG conference he could not believe how much darkroom/film related goodies were available in Toronto. Even then the retailers are stuck catering to a digital world wether they like it or not.

If I was not going into public relations (and enjoying it) and I had the bankroll, I would set up a store like Blue Moon Camera out of Portland Or. in Toronto. Realize you are niche and play up to it, put together a big online presence, with website and social media (like APUG, RFF, Flickr, etc.) and participate in the local arts scene. I know for a fact the margins have to be better than selling Nikon D80's.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin