Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,769   Online: 872

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Damn, why won't Kodak just spin off the damned film division before it's run into the ground?
    That's what Agfa did. The new management at AgfaPhoto didn't exactly succeed at turning the business around.

Now we have Agfa Gevaert (alive), AgfaPhoto Holding (alive), and AgfaPhoto (insolvent, in liquidation).
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Damn, why won't Kodak just spin off the damned film division before it's run into the ground?
    Among other reasons, because they still have obligations to the employees there, and are having difficulty finding purchasers who are willing to assume them?

Despite all their difficulties, I think it is unlikely you will hear a lot of complaints from Kodak employees as to how they have been treated.

Matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Sorry guys, you are just not using enough Kodak film.

PE
    I think it is safe to assume PE said this tougue-in-cheek. I am also assuming that a majority of film sold by Kodak was not B&W to artists, photojournalists and the like -- but color negative film to the average joe for snapshots. That is where the "sudden drop" has probably occurred...and it was probably the sale of this type of film that helped support the production of B&W material.

Just a guess, of course. But if true, then it would not matter how much B&W material we buy, or would have bought, from Kodak. Mom and pop, and the various relatives are not using film to capture those millions of Kodak moments -- they have a digital camera...even if it is a disposable one.

But I have been wrong enough before to be use to it by now.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Kodak is dead"!

Long live Ilford!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I won't boycott any company that is still manufacturing film and/or paper. I still like Tri-x (both versions) and I'll continue to buy/beg/borrow or steal it as long as I can.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 01-13-2007 at 07:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difficult part of buying a portion of a company which has falling sales is convincing an investor that there is a sound financel reason behind the decision and a potential for a return on the investment. With the recent trends in market share as they are, it will take someone with deep pockets, superb marketing skills, a genius for production and organization, and even larger balls (apologies to the ladies here) to pull this off. Anyone a close personal friend of Bill Gates who might consider being a patron of the arts? tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    "Kodak is dead"!
    I sincerely hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Long live Ilford!
    I sincerely hope so.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I'll ask the pragmatic question:

Dear PE,

What are the keeping qualities of TMX 400 (120 and sheet) and Tri-X Pro (220) in cold storage, and do you have any specific recommendations?

And thank you for all you are doing in emulsion making and coating!

Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thought I just read something about the fufillment of the remaining Kodak ULF order for J&C. Hope for the sake of those hanging on that it doesn't get pushed back. Guess that there might not be any more orders coming down the pike.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In ten more years, the newest crop of adults (twenty year olds) will not remember anythig other than digital imaging. Also the digital imaging industry is dynamic and their eventual goal is to make images which are superior in all ways to analog. I hate this because I am dedicated to film but film will go away. Better start watching the emulsions forum and be prepared to "DIY"...Evan Clarka

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin