Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,660   Online: 724

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Two comments here.

First is that I'm reporting what a news reporter on Channel 10 news at 11:00 said. It was backed up next morning by the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

Second, Forte's announcement today kind of confirms this really. There has been a rather sudden change! About 2 years ago, I reported the information on the last 'sudden change' and next thing we knew Agfa was gone. I didn't know that would happen, but I was criticized for the veracity of that information at the time.

I report a factual event from our papers or TV and everyone doubts it. The evidence speaks for itself.

That is all there is to say about it.

PE
    I have heard that Kodak reported and increase in film sales in 2006 for their large format films. It appears that the rush to digital will eventually kill off the small formats films first. Time will tell what the future holds for us who use large format equipment. The answer is buy and use the film of your choice as much as you can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    And could Art please stop beating me up for having posted the X-Ray thing on this forum as if I'd commited a mortal sin or something?
    LOL You're OK George.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Images
    I hope that the name recognition of Kodak is enough to keep them afloat among the morass of electronics, camera and computer companies that have already saturated the d******l camera market with hundreds of makes and models of every sort. Even in film, designing and marketing cameras was never their forte.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    ... the digital imaging industry is dynamic and their eventual goal is to make images which are superior in all ways to analog. ...
    Well, if that's true, then what's the problem? As soon as digital "equals" film, I'm not going back into the stinking darkroom. Why would I? This is not a religion. (Or is it?) :rolleyes:
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Not my fault! I just bought several pro-packs of 100GX and 160VC(new) in 120. I am going to shirk responsibility for the TMax production line and leave that to one of you guys.

Flotsam: what about the old Medalists, Master Views and Retinas? Lovely, if heavy devices. (although I'll concede those were developed approaching 60 years ago, and have as much to do with current Kodak as Alchemists have to do with my chem department)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, lots of comments to reply to.

First, I don't have clout. I got complaints that only subscribers could read the post and they felt it important. I sent a note to Sean, and he was doubtful. A while later it was moved so I assume he got complaints. And, I just didn't want to retype it as I'm lazy and didn't want to double post. So that answers that.

All reversal color films are in a steep decline, as are B&W small format. LF film is holding up and may be the last man standing. Color negative and motion picture are holding up.

I'll use the example of Kodachrome. Kodak had full page ads up till 1990, but sales kept dropping very rapidly. You can't keep beating a dead horse. They even came up with a 400 speed Kodachrome which was very very good and it would not sell. So, ads ceased. The dropoff came before the ads stopped.

And, finally, with all of this talk, what happend to Ilford when Agfa ran into their troubles? Even Ilford had a serious problem.

Now, as for buying Kodak products, I buy Kodak color negative film, Ilford Paper and Kodak and Ilford B&W film. My specialty products include Kentmere paper.

And, don't forget, I make my own.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Went to my first pop music large hall concert in over 20 years last night. Huge crowd, a sold-out evening with people ages 12 to 80. Everyone had a camera from the looks of things. But I didn't see anyone using even a disposable film camera. All I saw was the glow of screens from camera phones, digital point-and-shoots and DSLRs.

The performances were fun. The crowd was obnoxious. I can wait another 20 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll use the example of Kodachrome. Kodak had full page ads up till 1990, but sales kept dropping very rapidly. You can't keep beating a dead horse. They even came up with a 400 speed Kodachrome which was very very good and it would not sell.
    Don't you mean 200? I used to shoot Kodachrome 200, but I don't ever remember any 400 Kodachrome. Did I blink and miss it?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Don't you mean 200? I used to shoot Kodachrome 200, but I don't ever remember any 400 Kodachrome. Did I blink and miss it?
    You blinked.

It was 1988 and it was t-grain 400, and it was superb.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll use the example of Kodachrome. Kodak had full page ads up till 1990, but sales kept dropping very rapidly. You can't keep beating a dead horse. They even came up with a 400 speed Kodachrome which was very very good and it would not sell. So, ads ceased. The dropoff came before the ads stopped.
    So, is this a slow and gradual death of a company seeking mercy killing in a sense? :o

I buy and use Kodak photo chemicals mostly: Dektol, Selectol Soft, Selenium toner, Sepia toner, etc. I was thinking about adding the liquid non-hardening fixer and some film developing agents also to my list.

For film, I still shoot TriX, but that's not much. Also, I shoot Gold 400 color neg for fun, and that's even less...

I don't need any ads for to find what I need. Ads are expensive and cost a lot of money. That kind of money can be better saved for paying their employees in all status.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin