Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,638   Online: 718

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Late breaking Kodak news

Tonight on the late news, it was announced that due to a sudden big decrease in demand for analog products, 500 workers at Kodak Park's coating facility would be laid off.

In addition, due to this decline, Kodak will be laying off an additional 5000 employees world-wide during 2007.

Channel 10, 11:00 news lead story in Rochester NY.

Sorry guys, you are just not using enough Kodak film.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tonight on the late news, it was announced that due to a sudden big decrease in demand for analog products, 500 workers at Kodak Park's coating facility would be laid off.

In addition, due to this decline, Kodak will be laying off an additional 5000 employees world-wide during 2007.

Channel 10, 11:00 news lead story in Rochester NY.

Sorry guys, you are just not using enough Kodak film.

PE
    Could ANYONE use enough film to persuade Perez that Kodak should keep making it? I'm fully aware of the argument that 'if people keep buying, they'll keep making it,' but equally, I'd not put it past Perez to do a pre-emptive strike.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that Kodak still needs the money to maintain cash flow, and film is nothing more than a money maker today. So, it would be killing the 'goose that laid the golden egg'.

Today's paper says that Kodak is vacating a group of buildings and offering them up for sale. This is part of the film distribution center and equipment repair center I think.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One has to wonder about Kodak's willingness to use its traditional products as a tax write-off against digital losses until that division is self sustaining. If it gave a damn about its' analog material wouldn't one expect there to be an advertising campaign? The power of advertising skillfully is undeniable. I mean it's easy to be cynical about the public's gullibility regarding purchase of whatever is marketed with enough rigor (an I-Phone for $500??? are you f'n out of your mind??), so humping the merits of traditional material could be a no-brainer, and, if done with finesse and care, could even be a non threat to digistuff. But do/will they? Apparently not.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "film is dead" and similar talk from the top is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Tonight on the late news, it was announced that due to a sudden big decrease in demand for analog products, ...
    Sudden? Where can I find figures/statistics about worldwide sales of photo paper and film?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    Sudden? Where can I find figures/statistics about worldwide sales of photo paper and film?
    I'm sure that would be a "sudden" decline in demand for Kodak made photo materials. Not other vendors particularly. Kodak i'm sure doesn't care about declines in Forte's sales, for example.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I'm sure that would be a "sudden" decline in demand for Kodak made photo materials. Not other vendors particularly. Kodak i'm sure doesn't care about declines in Forte's sales, for example.
    I would assume that Kodak's sales are proportional to world sales, unless they lost market share to Fuji or Mitsubishi. I don't know. Perhaps they were hit by Agfa and Konica clearing their warehouses...
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two comments here.

First is that I'm reporting what a news reporter on Channel 10 news at 11:00 said. It was backed up next morning by the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

Second, Forte's announcement today kind of confirms this really. There has been a rather sudden change! About 2 years ago, I reported the information on the last 'sudden change' and next thing we knew Agfa was gone. I didn't know that would happen, but I was criticized for the veracity of that information at the time.

I report a factual event from our papers or TV and everyone doubts it. The evidence speaks for itself.

That is all there is to say about it.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One thing I am curious about is how this thread moved from "Doom and Gloom" to "Product Availabilty"? I guess PE has some clout here.

And could Art please stop beating me up for having posted the X-Ray thing on this forum as if I'd commited a mortal sin or something?

As to the layoffs - I feel sorry for the folk who are going through this - I also give credit to Kodak to waiting until after "the Holidays" before making this announcement. I work in finance in NYC and just witnessed my boss getting axed on December 11th. Imagine how he felt on Christmas morning?

Now, my real dilemma is - what's the use anymore? I love using my 35mm film gear and I recently used the "race to digital" to upgrade my "arsenal".

But it really does seem to be the "end game" now - doesn't it?

Damn, why won't Kodak just spin off the damned film division before it's run into the ground?

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin