Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,394   Online: 1139

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the approach can be to start them young. You can still buy children's p&s film cameras rated for kids as young as 3.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Maybe you will be lucky, and it will turn out that Roger Hicks is the instructor.

Matt
    Matt,

Fortunately, I know my instructor is a female so unless Roger has had an operation that would leave Frances in a quandary - I'm safe!

Besides, I like Roger, and I hope one day to visit him and help drain his wine cellar!

Our "virtual jousts" are never ad hominem - we both just enjoy a good duel. Besides, it's fun to "pull his chain" now and again - isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post

However, whilst all this is of interest, to me far and away the most important and easiest thing we can do to keep as many products available to us, and keep interest alive in the art of traditional photography - is to stimulate interest in traditional photography itself.

Hallo Matt,

I think you are right. Because a I have an experience in photography for about 30 years other photographers or people, who want to start photographing, often ask me about traditional and digital photography. I have made a list with advantages of traditional photography (over 20 points, several pages), it seems, my paper and arguments are rather convincing, because I had success in convincing a lot of photographers not to give up traditional photography or to start photographing with film.
    Everyone can do it, it is not so difficult to convince.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How to stimulate interest?

1. Mentor the young ones. Show them the wonders.

2. Don't preach or bad mouth digital. No evangelical pronouncements why film is better.

3. Don't talk about the doom and gloom scenrios with all the film manufacturers.

4. Use Pareto's Law. A hybrid convert is better than nothing.

5. Contribute in one of the print exchanges or this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/3...us-poster.html instead of the several the "sky is falling" reported as fact threads that seem to be prevalent in this new year.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-13-2007 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Come on people is it realy that hard. We all have darkrooms of some sort, so why not adopt interested people and let them try it useing your facilities.
    Nothing succeeds like success, I was hooked when I saw my first [very bad] print come up in the dev tray. Scince then I have recived tutoring mentoring advice and help from many people, all with an interest in anolouge printing or photography, all un conditionaly given.
    Is it not time to give something back? In recognition of the help we have recived why do we not let it be known that we will help any one interested in the process to get started, including letting them make prints in our darkroom so that they can dry run the hobby without going to a lot of expence.
    Once they are hooked, probebly by the third print, help them set up their own darkroom so that the cycle can start again.
    Moaning about the lack of new people takeing up anolouge photography here will do little to swell the numbers, getting out into the wider community and saying I will help you might.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What made shooting film possible for me again was the presence of a good scanner and a print shop that understands what I want... I'm hybrid and will remain so for some time, I'm sure. Especially because to install a darkroom, we'd have to move out of an otherwise perfect house.
    I benefit a lot from being half digital. The learning curve wasn't that steep, I knew how to take a good photo before I bought my Hasselblad and I can use my digital darkroom skills. It was simply getting used to another piece of equipment. One that gives me beautiful, rather large negatives.

To be honest, even before seeing the negatives I was immediately sold on the fantastic, bright viewfinder. You could say I stumbled into traditional photography only because I'm severely myopic. But whatever takes one there must be good, mustn't it.

Antje

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Besides, I like Roger, and I hope one day to visit him and help drain his wine cellar!
    Dear George,

Might take a few days. Besides, most of it is just plonk. I just bought a dozen South African Pinotage 14.5 per cent, which is best described as an interesting wine rather than a great one. I'll have to buy another case and lay it down against your visit...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Might take a few days. Besides, most of it is just plonk. I just bought a dozen South African Pinotage 14.5 per cent, which is best described as an interesting wine rather than a great one. I'll have to buy another case and lay it down against your visit...

Isn't the French method just to drink the best stuff first then finish off the rest when you've had too much to be able to tell how good it is?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    None of the colleges I know of, allow former students use of their darkrooms so he/she has to convert a room in a house.

Fine if it's a home owner but difficult if it's a young person living at home with parents.

No such problem for digis of course. All of which may help explain why our game is much more open to middle aged home owners whose kids have left home and have a spare room.

pentaxuser
    You make a good point, but having a spare room isn't necessary. I had a "spare room"/"dedicated darkroom" when I had a big house. Years before that, I used a bathroom. More recently, after selling the big house (the kids are gone) and buyer a smaller house, I use the laundry room. The laundry room isn't much bigger than an average "full" bathroom, but it works very well, even though I have two enlargers (an Omega D2V and a Beseler 67).

So I don't think it's so much a matter of available square footage as it is a matter of dedication. Truly, it doesn't take me much longer to setup and cleanup the laundry room (or in the past, the bathroom) than it did when I had the dedicated darkroom. It just took a little creativity to configure it.

Pat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At each of the UK Gatherings so far I've been approached by at least one person enquiring what all the tripods and "old cameras" were for. A polite explanation often led to other questions about whether film was still available etc.

If you want to stimulate interest in traditional photography, it's easy; get a few of you together using clearly non-digital kit (TLR's, MF's, LF's, etc.) and go shoot somewhere public. You will attract interest!

Remember that you are ambassadors of traditional photography(! ) so smile, don't avoid conversation, don't "preach", be pleasant (no matter how "dumb" the questions!) and leave a good impression.

To take it a stage further, how about having a few (Sean-approved) APUG flyers that you can hand out to anyone who is genuinely interested (obviously not to be thrust on the casual passer-by).

A lot of people have genuinely swallowed the lies that film is dead, old cameras no longer work and digital rules unchallenged. The best way I can think of to change that is to get out there in groups and prove otherwise.

You might even get some good shots!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin