Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,836   Online: 809

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm ... they're just selling their Health Imaging Business. Sure, it's one fifth of their total business, right now, but I don't see what the issue is. Seriously, how many of you guys are using x-ray film?

They're planning to use the proceeds to reduce their significant debt to a much more manageable level. I can see how this move was devised and can see how it will help position Kodak to better survive for the future.

To me, how Onex Financial Holdings finances the deal is of no concern to me. BTW this is not a LBO, but a straight sale. The fact is that Kodak is getting an injection of $2.35B in cash which will reduce it's debt load significantly. This is a good thing.

The world is going digital. I personally think Kodak is managing this change quite well. They *could* have stayed the course with film only and gone bankrupt, but they haven't and I can see Kodak's return to financial health in the near future. With this move, I bet it's next quarter, is good for the traditional film industry. I think they are doing what they need to to survive (and now begin to flourish) and still provide traditional film enthusiasts with a significant range of products.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 01-12-2007 at 05:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very disappointing that Kodak feels that it must go this route and that they are still losing money in the digital end of their marketplace. I just hope that Kodak can stay in business and manage both its film and digital markets.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This doesn't have much affect on us but it does look like another blunder on the part of Kodak that could impact Kodak film users in the future. When you consider the number of companies crawling all over themselves in the digital imaging field, I can't imagine why Eastman Kodak's managment would think they can cut themselves a substantial piece of that pie while they toss the pie they already control in the garbage. Of course, what do I know? I'm just a photographer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Ummm ... they're just selling their Health Imaging Business. Sure, it's one fifth of their total business, right now, but I don't see what the issue is. Seriously, how many of you guys are using x-ray film?

They're planning to use the proceeds to reduce their significant debt to a much more manageable level. I can see how this move was devised and can see how it will help position Kodak to better survive for the future.

To me, how Onex Financial Holdings finances the deal is of no concern to me. BTW this is not a LBO, but a straight sale. The fact is that Kodak is getting an injection of $2.35B in cash which will reduce it's debt load significantly. This is a good thing.

The world is going digital. I personally think Kodak is managing this change quite well. They *could* have stayed the course with film only and gone bankrupt, but they haven't and I can see Kodak's return to financial health in the near future. With this move, I bet it's next quarter, is good for the traditional film industry. I think they are doing what they need to to survive (and now begin to flourish) and still provide traditional film enthusiasts with a significant range of products.

Regards, Art.
    Art,

The point is not how many (if any) here use X-Ray film but that this is the first time Kodak has spun off a film division.

Last year it was certain chemical divisions - now the X-ray/Medical.

And, as stated in the article, Onex intends to "milk" the film segment to finance the transitioning to digital.

With this move, Kodak is further shrinking its former core business lines. Now the big question arises. Is the consumer film division next? And if so, will this be a good or bad thing for us?

BTW: My fear is that Kodak will hang on to its consumer film business until its nearly worthless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just hope Champion keeps making and distributing the Kodak E-6 chemistry, especially the 5 liter kits. I still have some Kodak rapid selenium toner and some photoflo, but when those run out I'll replace them with other brands. The E-6 chemistry is their absolute last chance for ANY of my business (not that i'm even on their radar, of course), and I already have the switch to Fuji/Hunt planned out should it become necessary. It's just that the 5 liter kits are so darned convenient.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Art,

The point is not how many (if any) here use X-Ray film but that this is the first time Kodak has spun off a film division.

Last year it was certain chemical divisions - now the X-ray/Medical.

And, as stated in the article, Onex intends to "milk" the film segment to finance the transitioning to digital.

With this move, Kodak is further shrinking its former core business lines. Now the big question arises. Is the consumer film division next? And if so, will this be a good or bad thing for us?

BTW: My fear is that Kodak will hang on to its consumer film business until its nearly worthless.
    The fact is that Kodak did it right! Sell out untill they can get money for it! In this country there is isn't any institution still uses X-ray units based on the traditional film method as all is digital! Well maybe some 65 years old dentists still may use those but, they not gonna be around for long do they?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I attended the Ansel Admas Workshop in the summer of 1984, right after Ansel died. Gordon Brown, THE major tech rep for The Great Yellow Father was there and announced to the stunned acolytes that Kodak would entirely phase out of black & white products in the next four years. That night at dinner, talk had already switched from Super XX to FP4. Kodak has over decades of experience in insulting our intelligence.
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Honestly George, so what? I mean seriously, we can speculate all we want, but what is that going to achieve? Further all this does is continue a 'doom and gloom' scenario for Kodak amongst us, that is really just getting tiring.

Look, people aren't even being rational here any more. We're talking x-ray films and people are questioning how long E-6 chemistry will last. It boggles my mind how 2 + 2 = 5 on APUG. Truly.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Personly I use X-ray film. I like it. Granted I may be only one of a few that does for traditional photography. I don't buy alot but still. But on the other hand I do work in a Hospital. We are not all dgital and most of our film is Agfa, for what it's worth. On one of the other threads is the story on Forte. When will the bleeding stop?
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Honestly George, so what? I mean seriously, we can speculate all we want, but what is that going to achieve? Further all this does is continue a 'doom and gloom' scenario for Kodak amongst us, that is really just getting tiring.

Look, people aren't even being rational here any more. We're talking x-ray films and people are questioning how long E-6 chemistry will last. It boggles my mind how 2 + 2 = 5 on APUG. Truly.

Regards, Art.
    Art,

If you consider this news within the context of the other thread indicating that Forte is going out of the film business then you see a continuation of a disturbing trend.

Also, I would commend you to re-read the first paragraph of the news article where the writer has blandly stated that consumer film sales have "collapsed". Whether this is true or not - and to what extent it is- is less of a problem than that it is increasingly common folklore that film is (or has) "disappeared".

It's not "doom and gloom" to be aware and concerned about disturbing trends.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin