Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,360   Online: 799

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Forte stop it's production

Probably you are going to see some changes on the market! Some of your items and favourites disappear! Also some of the repacking and re-labelling companies going to disappear or going to sell some cheap low quality film in their box as Forte closed down the production of photographic materials do to huge overcapacity.

The demand on photographic films and papers are very low and Forte’s facilities are designed to produce a large quantity each year. It had been exported its products to some 53 countries world wide Do to Today’s low demand on films and papers the investors decided to not to rebuilt or invest on new line but to closed the the factory down. This is now 99.99%.

Here goes another European manufacturer into the grave and sadly both Agfa and Forte were my absolute favourites along Kodak. This is a sad story as Forte produced superior quality of Black and white paper so as films. The result of this is that low quality films going to appear in the market From Russia and China.

Sadly with Fortes sortie a bit of Kodak’s history has ended too the factory established by George Eastman as a Kodak Factory in 1922 ends here.

Shooter
    35mm
    Really? Where is the source?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Really? Where is the source?
    Here!

Dear xxxxxx.

To our greatest regret we have to advise you that the owners have come to the decision to stop the production of Forte photographic products by January 26th, 2007 definitely.

The factory established by George Eastman as a Kodak Factory in 1922, as well its successors have been manufacturing mainly black & white photo films and papers of superior/high quality especially with warm tone, in a very wide range.

During the past decade the demand for black & white photo products felt back drastically due to the fast technological development, that is confirmed even by the sales figures of your country.

The factory has been working with huge overcapacities, and on a large piece of ground, with uneconomical infrastructure resulting in continuous losses.

Considering the above, the long negotiations with several potential industrial investors have failed.

We thank you for your several years’/decades’ smooth and fruitful co-operation, and wish you good success in the future.

Best regards,

Béla Kummer, Gen. Manager László Varga, Com. Adviser Edit Stirling, Area Manager Attila Ollé,Area Manager

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know you have contacts at Forte uraniumnitrate, so this is really bad news. They were in this position previousy so I hope they can find a way to continue smaller production.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is not good news. I have just run through a pile of different Ilford, Kentmere, Bergger and Forte papers, and decided on using Forte PW and graded and only use other stuff for contact sheets.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    I know you have contacts at Forte uraniumnitrate, so this is really bad news. They were in this position previousy so I hope they can find a way to continue smaller production.

Barry
    It's impossible as the coating facilities are huge and Forte during the communist era where producing for the entire communist world, to their inside market (China and Russia just for example) and to the Middle East and to South America and to the North American continent. We are talking about 53 countries! Just imagine how big that is.
    That’s why many of their products worked well in the tropical conditions.
    It would be like building a completely new fabric, need new investors to step in with big, big money to shrink production facilities feet into a new lower demand! That’s exactly what Agfa understand so well so they just step out of it as Forte does now!
    And who would do that today as even the demand of inkjet products shrinking do to the new technology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    This is not good news. I have just run through a pile of different Ilford, Kentmere, Bergger and Forte papers, and decided on using Forte PW and graded and only use other stuff for contact sheets.
    /matti
    No wonder why! Forte papers are superb once you learn how to really use them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Too bad to see them close down. The market is really shrinking, and with it, the choices. Especially bad as they were a paper and film producer.

Foma could be next up... Or Kodak.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    This really sucks. I just switched over to using Forte paper not to mention the fact it did lith so well. This is not good. Now what?

What is left?

Kentmere
    Ilford. Does Ilford Warmtone lith
    Foma

I am not mentioning repackaged stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Personally I have never used Forte film, its hard to find much of it here in Japan. But the little paper I have used was nice. I think over the next few years, the market should settle down. Probably Fuji, Ilford and a few other smaller companies will survive. Especially, those with smaller facilities that run film in smaller production runs. Lets support those that we can!

Gary

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin