Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 849

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    George.

While I appreciate morse code, (learned it when I was about 11 and promptly forgot it), I don't appreciate how you plan to make acceptable 35mm hand coated film. I would be happy to give you free access to my lab for a full week for you to demonstrate it to me. I will, in return, show you why you are wrong.

The bottom line is that hand coated 35mm with any degree of quality, with a home darkroom is virtually impossible.

Best of luck.

PE
    I don't think this is fair - coming up with 35mm that the rest of us are willing to use is certainly much more complex than comning up with large sheet film the rest of us would use. To use an analogy - to say one can't make home-coated 35mm is like saying one can't home-make good optics because you won't have the equipment to coat the lens. Which while is true, is not the whole of the truth, because you can have your optics coated by 3rd parties.

Similarily, if home-made 35mm ever happens, it will IMHO most likely be coated on a much wider 100 foot roll, which will then be cut into multiple 35mm perforated 100 foot rolls. That of cause very much depends on there being enough intrest in film surviving that there would be enough people doing this ... so far the sings are not really very encouraging for there being many coaters for any size of film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

An interesting thread, I would support an open discussion and would expect us to be willing and able to participate, but PE makes some very valid points about company confidentiality, as long as Martin and PE were involved ( as an FYI I have known Martin for many years ) and of course with Seans backing.

Like Martin said, take us up on an in depth factory tour...speak to some of our people learn about the processes. The offer is open, I know Martin would be happy to come, and I am sure I can pursuade PE to come as well, that way we really could all benefit.

Simon ILFORD Photo / Harman technology Limited.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Ilford tour is well worth taking, as I'm sure everyone else who attended the last one would agree. Everyone at the site was extremely hospitable and it was a real eye-opener into what goes on throughout the whole process. The attention to detail and quality control was astonishing!

It would be great if other manufacturers had representatives amongst the membership here on APUG.

Martin - I think you probably have more contacts amongst materials suppliers than most of us. Would you be able to contact any of them and invite them along? (If you wouldn't be comfortable doing so then I will try to make up a list and make contact.)
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Dr. Souichi Kubo was head of one of the photographic departments at Chiba. His wife (The former Miss Arai) is still teaching there, but he retired the last I had heard. This information dates from May 2006. I had a long conversation with visiting educators from Chiba at the ICIS meeting in Rochester.

I have met him and many of his students here in the US when he was assigned here for 1 year by the Japanese government. His base of operations was in Rochester as he studied US education in photographic science.

PE
    Thank you very much for the info. Now I know where to search! I think there is more than one "Chiba" university (or a college that we also call the same), so I was so confused before.

So, you've got quite many future cadidates to be your apprentices to learn from you. Or they have already mastered the skills that you offer and taken off, I don't know. But aren't they interested in APUG? Do they come visit here at all to contribute their skills and knowledge?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Must be worth exploring - let's see what Ilford's response is initially.
    Yes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Thank you very much for the info. Now I know where to search! I think there is more than one "Chiba" university (or a college that we also call the same), so I was so confused before.

So, you've got quite many future cadidates to be your apprentices to learn from you. Or they have already mastered the skills that you offer and taken off, I don't know. But aren't they interested in APUG? Do they come visit here at all to contribute their skills and knowledge?

That is Chiba university in Tokyo, I believe it is on the north east side of the bay IIRC.

I have no apprentices. I have students who attended a workshop and I keep in touch with them, but I need someone who is able to sustain a longer time than a week or a few days to learn as much as possible. This would be more than superficial.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Among the best suggestions...

FrankB's suggestion to LOBBY the many manufacturers who may not yet listen to APUG is one of the best suggestions so far. Not just to let them know that their products are appreciated and will generate sales, but also so that they feel that it's worth continuing to contribute to a quality art that will remain in existence for generations to come. In that way, it may counter the "film is dead" hysteria that can permeate board rooms and stockholder meetings. Once a confidence in film is re-established at the "at-risk" manufacturers, a firmer commitment can be made. This hopefully will lead to commitment to renewal, modernisation of machinery and training of engineers and other apprentices. If a fear of the "end-of-the-film-world" continues to plague the industry, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are alot of "heavy-weights" on this forum (I mean that in a good way... ); it seems to me that many of you might be able to have an impact by bending the ears of those with decision-making powers in these companies.

Make the calls, send the emails, butter them up with large fine art prints made from their products. Show them their support.

Start an official APUG lobby/action group.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Get more manufacturers in touch with the APUG membership. Ilford have engaged and this has brought mutual benfits. Fuji has had some limited contact. Several equipment manufacturers are members. What about the rest?

Do you have a contact at a photo-manufacturing company? Drop them a line and invite them to APUG.

Do you have a manufacturer whose products you would hate to see vanish? Drop them a line, tell them how much you value their products. Invite them here to talk to their customer base.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post

The other day, in a similar thread PE made a point about people saying, but not doing. Now he starts ANOTHER thread wherein all the same people start saying all the same things about doing what they are very much unlikely to do!

I mean really; cooking up a batch of 120 in your kitchen using the carefully saved paper backs from past rolls? Shooting at speeds of ISO 5?

If we get to that state I think that APUG will have about six members remaining!

Exactly what I was thinking as I continue to read this thread. I understand the good intentions and even the enthusiasm for keeping it all going---hell, I love BW photography, and on a very limited budget I manage I might add, so pardon me if I'm done when they stop making the plastic stuff that goes into the back of my RB. I don't mean to sound resentful, I'm not, but I am litereally forcing myself to continue reading this thread. I very much appreciate PE's thoughts as I always take note of his words, but this thread really is meant for a very, very, very select few individuals who have the ability, time, money, space, etc, etc.... to keep it all going.

I continue to remain positive that I can shoot film for several, several years to come.

CP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just finished reading my post and thought it sounded more harsh than I intended it to---it is certainly intended as a civil response to this topic. It appears that I let the worst of thoughts get the best of me.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, but the other was a post IIRC in answer to someone on a thread, not a thread I started. I may be wrong, I would have to look it up, but I remember it as an answer, not a question. That and a conversation with Jon on chat started me thinking it over and that resulted in this thread. See the OP I made here.

And, this thread has gotten totall different, mostly constructive comments.

So, if you think it is a duplicate, well, perhaps it is. But, it did get some quite different and orginginal concepts one being the 'action group' that shold be formed to approach the major manufacturers.

In any event, if you feel that I've erred in bringing this up, sorry. I am very concerned for analog products. I'm addressing it the best I know how as I'm sure each of you are doing.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin