Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,812   Online: 848

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Apparently Agfa films will be produced again

Yesterday I asked the owner of Photo Impex here in Berlin about the state of Forte (they have business relations with the company), and he told me things look bleak there, but soon Agfa 100 and 400 films will be on the market again; he expects them also to be sold as sheet films. I don't know the details - nor am I much interested - but it seems that these companies, like Ilford, first seem to have to go bust before being able to produce again with adjusted capacities.
    I also received a round email from maco with press releases, saying that Agfa and A&O chemistry will be produced again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I would be curious to know if these are the left over mater rolls being cut or actual new film in the works!

IN any case good news if true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No left overs, I understood, but a new beginning of production. I saw another thread somewhere here on the same topic, with much more precise information than I have (was posted before I could read it), but I can't locate it again. Also, an earlier thread here tells of papers being made again.

By the way, I understood that Bergger is also in trouble now, as they got their films made by Forte.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I recall from the previous thread--photoimpex bought thr research line from Agfa.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What Agfa ? Are you serious ?

I am afraid there might be curious re-branding games planned as we speak, resulting to products that might bear names we're familiar with, would not really be what we would expect them to be. (I am not trying to sound like mr Uranium Nitrate now, it's just that I am a bit worried)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey View Post
    As I recall from the previous thread--photoimpex bought thr research line from Agfa.

Matt
    I am not aware that Photo Impex has any "research line" - or to what are you referring by this term?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Amen to that, George. It reeks of the "Return of the Undead, part III".
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    I am afraid there might be curious re-branding games planned as we speak, resulting to products that might bear names we're familiar with, would not really be what we would expect them to be. (I am not trying to sound like mr Uranium Nitrate now, it's just that I am a bit worried)...
    It is my understanding that they will be as close to the original as they can be, taking in to account the varables of smaller kettles, coaters, starting a new smaller line. and the tweakes to the recipe's that are needed because of that.

That is just my understanding. I was wrong once in 1982, and again in 1997, so I could be wrong here, as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By "research line", he means that the production infrastructure would consist of the smaller "kettle" used to test emulsions for research and development and to perform quality control sampling.

Basically, AgfaPhoto had a 1000L production kettle and a 40L research kettle. Fotoimpex is, apparently, betting that a 40L kettle run day and night for production could be profitable where a 1000L run sporadically would fail to make money.

I'm a fan of APX100 and 400, so I'll be the last one to say it can't work...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin