Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,873   Online: 978

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Probably, Kodak will deflate into just a brand name only, with digital products produced in China but with a Kodak sticker. It's still interesting that so much of the bottom line is carried by film products. And that it is ignored and has to go, because it's not "hot stuff", i.e digital. However, I still think Tri-X is a damn fine film. And I still buy it.
    exactly

kodak by name only.
    too bad they couldn't have outsourced all their film / paper to
    forte ... and given everyone a boost before they fell off the horse ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No te preoccupado, Ron, any language has its quirks. The big difference between the two is first at the phonetic level. Québécois french has kept more vowel distinctions than modern France french (e.g. the difference between short and long vowels). The day-to-day vocabulary is somewhat different, like it is the case between UK and USA english. Finally, each language has its impenetrable idiomatic and slangy expressions that are the delight and worry of tourists.

There is a standard of international French, and every little peculiarities can be dissolved into it when necessary. It's modelled a bit too much on France's for my taste, but oh well.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Who really cares. Kodak died over 5 years ago. Why does everyone think that Kodak is the only company and that since Kodak is getting rid of film so is everyone else.

Look around you have Foma, Kentmere, Fuji, Ilford, Efke, Slavich, New Chinese Paper and Film that has been getting decent reviews. I am really getting tired of this Kodak stuff. I will be glad when Kodak is dead once and for all. The world of photography people is bigger than Kodak....

Kodak screwed themselves years ago so as far as I am concerned they are a dead company in terms of film anyway.

If Kodak does go away for good that will make it better for the other companies that care about traditional products. Kodak is the Yellow sore thumb that needs to leave once and for all and go after their digital market which they will never obtain especially trying to compete against Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Fuji. They are on the way out.....

No offense to anyone but get over it. Kodak is a dead company and you can blame it on the management...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, your probably not buying Kodak stock then?

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodak is one of two film companies still manufacturing transparency (reversal) film, Kodak is one of only about three companies still manufacturing color negative film. While it is true that b/w materials have several current vendors, the fate of color materials is much precarious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    No te preoccupado, Ron, any language has its quirks. The big difference between the two is first at the phonetic level. Québécois french has kept more vowel distinctions than modern France french (e.g. the difference between short and long vowels). The day-to-day vocabulary is somewhat different, like it is the case between UK and USA english. Finally, each language has its impenetrable idiomatic and slangy expressions that are the delight and worry of tourists.

There is a standard of international French, and every little peculiarities can be dissolved into it when necessary. It's modelled a bit too much on France's for my taste, but oh well.
    My French friends say that Quebecois sounds to them like medieval English must to us English speakers.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    My French friends say that Quebecois sounds to them like medieval English must to us English speakers.

PE
    True. The French Revolution and subsequent linguistic change did not happen in Québec, and the region was relatively isolated from other french-speaking communities for a long time, because in part of the English conquest, and the low profile of the general populace.

Nowadays, Parisian people will most likely say that we sound like a regional hillbilly from Poitou or Normandy. Or just that we sound retarded. Truly enough, I've watched an old Jean Renoir movie, Boudu Sauvé des Eaux, and the main character is a tramp whose language shares words that still have currency in the Québec popular tongue. Not that the movie implied in any sense that the tramp was from here, but I'm just pointing the fact that we sound "regional" (and most of the people here come from the regions of France. My own ancestors are all from Normandy I've heard).

Anyhoo... Back to the main topic, I've suggested in your other thread that getting a Simon-like daemon from Fuji and Kodak interested in APUG would be a great step forward. What do you think of the possibility to make it happen with Kodak people? They seem to be the ones under the most pressure from both sales and management to reduce film; Fuji has at least done a few small steps, but Perez's quote is just criminal.

I think that in general, well-targeted web forums like this one are a readymade focus group for a company looking to probe its audience. This is probably the first time in history that chatter, rumours, and trifling observations that create the zeitgeist are recorded, and data mining APUG would yield much more interesting knowledge about a certain segment of the consumer world than surveys or top-down analyses.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael;

Kodak has not learned the power of these forums to a certain extent. They o sponsor a contest on Photo Net. I cannot get any interest generated at EK probably due to the lack of film people, and the small, overworked staff in many areas, as they try to cut costs.

I agree with you though. They are not ignoring us on purpose, it is a huge workload that is 'burning them out' at the Park and at Kodak Office.

I wish them well, and in spite of every error they have made, I wish them success and hold nothing against them.

Many of my relatives are from Chalon sur Marne and Suippe.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Oh, I'm told that Kodachrome has its 75th anniversary in 2010.
    To nix it before then would be a really bad PR move. I talk to the director of marketing and technical support for Kodachrome almost weekly. We have our *conservative* estimates on Kodachrome and our generous ones.

If Kodak nixes Kodachrome in 2010, that would mean I have about 4-5 years to shoot this project, that would be awesome!!!

I have about 700 24 exposure rolls that I got in bulk for .75¢ a roll. I want to try to set up a program on the site in which photographers of all ages and walks of life write in, get a free roll of the 24 exposure and shoot it for the project.

Well see.......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    While it is true that b/w materials have several current vendors, the fate of color materials is much precarious.
    Nevertheless, I think Kodak's black and white films are by far the best available. I'll use them as long as I can get them.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin