Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,820   Online: 1008

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    > 'Sicht nicht fart benutzen'

You may be right. It must be sort of gaelic.

Greetings from Germany

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone who want to make money within photography MUST have to understand NO MASS PRODUCTION, NO BILLIONS or GUGALIONS of dollars. After that it can be fine especialy with quality as Agfa can make. Anyone expect to run consumer mass production within any art branch going 7 ft under very fast. It was since man stepped on two legs, and no computer will change it, at least on long run.
    As for me personally, that small company called ilford is enough for the whole world, now and in next 1000... years, as long as they are SMALL company they (and photographers too) will be happy. If add small Agfa, and still can survive both, better, and more than enough.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Last edited by Daniel_OB; 01-24-2007 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    As for me personally, that small company called ilford is enough for the whole world, now and in next 1000... years, as long as they are SMALL company they (and photographers too) will be happy. If add small Agfa, and still can survive both, better, and more than enough.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Not for me, personally. I can get along very nicely with Ilford Warmtone (though I wish they'd coat the excellent emulsion on a whiter base), but for me, Agfa MCC 111 outperforms Ilford's MG FB in a number of ways, not least of which is much better shadow detail and less muddy tonal gradations. When I compare the same print made on both papers, for me, there's no contest.

The problem with only one company surviving (and believe me, I'm very grateful that Ilford is surviving! I've stuck by their B&W film for many years) is that there's little incentive to make something good better.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Larry;

After over 100 years of R&D, B&W photography is becoming very difficult to improve. It is like squeezing blood out of a turnip.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
    The problem with only one company surviving (and believe me, I'm very grateful that Ilford is surviving! I've stuck by their B&W film for many years) is that there's little incentive to make something good better.

Larry
    Well, fortunately for you, for me, for everyone, there are still several GOOD paper manufacturers, of which Ilford is, of course, right at the top in quality.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    After over 100 years of R&D, B&W photography is becoming very difficult to improve. It is like squeezing blood out of a turnip.
    PE, you told us a while ago they could make film at ASA 125.000 with grain comparable to current film?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Petzi;

That was 25,000. You are quite a bit off there. That film had grain about equal to current ISO 400 films and produced a positive image by heat processing.

Yes, they can make that film and they were petitioned to do so, but refused. It will not be produced. The inventor is going to give me the patent # when it issues so that I can try to make it here at home.

If I succeed, I should be able to achieve about ISO 2000 here at home. I have no idea whether I will be able to or not.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks PE, but 25,000 is quite impressive also. Keep up the good work.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Larry et al,

I take your point, but you are incorrect, it is more vital than ever before that we continue to R&D our products, both in development and manufacturing R&D. For some time now we have been working very hard to source alternative routes and suppliers of raw materials, to qualify and test these for the photo coating process, after all its a very dynamic market place, and our customers demand and expect the best, and we are committed to supplying the widest range of monochrome film, paper and chemistry...ad infinitum

A wider choice of analog products gives true creative flexibility for the photographer / artist / printer ( no matter who manufactures them ):

Thanks for using, buying and valuing our products :

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin