Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,790   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    I'm pretty certain that Champion made the black and white chemistry too.

The is a new chap working at Nova Darkroom who worked for Paterson for years. Can't remember his name though.

Anyway I am sure Nova would have all the low down.

Matt
    Thanks Matt. Nova still had some Paterson colour chems until recently but only in 1 litre containers, not 500ml which at my usage rate I much prefer.

Must contact Nova in view of this.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentaxuser

With regard to the colour chemicals (and B+W), there is a feeling that in the run up to production ceasing, the chemistry being bottled was already old and not in particularly good shape, possibly caused by Champion feeding Paterson with all the dregs that had been sitting around for some time - before announcing production would cease, leaving Paterson is a rather awkward situation. I dont think Champion gave Paterson very much notice.

I know Nova had one or two people return colour chemicals saying they had gone off and accusing Nova of having a low stock turn, but infact the stock had only been on the shelf for a short time. They were talking about sending all the remaining stock back to Paterson.

Therefore the allegation is Champion screwed Paterson to an extent.....note allegation.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I think Aculux 2 is about to be superceded with Aculux 3, we shall find out soon.
    Um...

That makes me a little nervous.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Paterson have been in the game for a long time and the indication is that they want to stay in it. I am sure any problems with their chemicals they will sort out and do the honourble thing by their customers.

They will be on stand B50 at focus on imaging NEC Birmingham 25-28 Feb. Suggest any one who can go get the info at first hand. Please relay results here for those of us who cannot make focus.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Paterson have been in the game for a long time and the indication is that they want to stay in it. I am sure any problems with their chemicals they will sort out and do the honourble thing by their customers.

They will be on stand B50 at focus on imaging NEC Birmingham 25-28 Feb. Suggest any one who can go get the info at first hand. Please relay results here for those of us who cannot make focus.
    Regards Paul.
    I will be there - I will interrogate them with the help of one of their Interfit studio lights.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt, I'd be indebted to you if you could enquire -

a) What (if anything) they've been and gone and done to Aculux 2?!
    b) Why?
    c) Will the unadulterated item still be available?

If the studio light doesn't do the trick, try sticking their thumbs in a Manfrotto tripod head (works a charm when I do it to me! )

Yours, on tenterhooks,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I think Aculux 2 is about to be superceded with Aculux 3, we shall find out soon.
    Yes, this makes me a little nervous too as I have all my times nicely calibrated for Aculux2, which is my favourite all-time developer.

From what I have read by Geoffrey Crawley in Amateur Photog Mag, Aculux3 has been tweaked to produce better scans and less grain. Just hope there is no loss of the wonderful tonality of Aculux2.

I also like Acutol and find this goes great with FP4+, so I hope to see this back too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, whilst we are on the topic of Paterson, is anyone looking forward to FX-50 coming back?

After the fanfare of its launch and some amazing reviews including an excellant one by Roger Hicks (you can get the pdf of this from the Paterson website) it seems that FX-50 never achieved the popularity that might have been expected.

I know there were lots of reported problems with one of the liquids going off very fast. This has always made me cautious to use it. I bought a small box of it 2 years back but never got round to trying it - out of fear I suppose. What caught my eye was the references to FX-50 having the tonality of Aculux2 with all the speed advantages of vit C and modern developers plus good sharpness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldc View Post
    From what I have read by Geoffrey Crawley in Amateur Photog Mag, Aculux3 has been tweaked to produce better scans and less grain. Just hope there is no loss of the wonderful tonality of Aculux2.
    Ditto. I understand why Paterson might want to make it more attractive to users of scanners, but personally I don't give a flying fandango how it scans - I want to PRINT!

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too-and I liked the tonality of FX 50. At least I still have some Acutol which is also good diluted 1+20 with the high contrast document films.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin