Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,299   Online: 782

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    <rant>
    A bit higher price than NordFoto, but then again: at least you can place an order for less than EUR 238 at Mayr. NordFoto has -for some reason- EUR 238 as a minimum order for outside Germany :rolleyes: (I can understand there's a lower limit, but EUR 238 isn't really low, now, is it?).
    </rant>
    EUR 238 is not a problem if you shoot 8x10" - or even 5x7" in colour!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Still waiting Surely we are not that far away

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up my promo pack, and I've never shot this stuff before. I've only got experience so far with HIE using a #25 red, so I'm able to focus normally through it. Are you able to see well enough through the 89B to focus, or do you focus first without filter then adjust on your lens to the IR dot? The last thing I'm wondering about shooting is if you can use this film with newer cameras (unlike HIE) that have the IR light for film advance, as it has the anti-halation coating (I have an EOS 3 and Elan 7)? As far as developing, what are people using? Does the film rate as a true ISO 200?

Thanks,
    Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I put one roll through my OM-2 with a 25 red filter (for most shots). I shot at 200 and had it processed by dr5.

I focused and metered as with any film and did not adjust the focus. My understanding, which could be wrong, was that this film did not require any focus adjustment. In any event, all of the shots appeared to be properly focused.

The IR effect was quite a bit stronger than I expected, this not being a full IR film. (A lot of foliage is nearly white.) Nevertheless it looks quite good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've done one roll as well, using the deep red (almost black) Cokin filter that came with the promo pack. I was still able to meter through the lens, and didn't make any focus adjustments. The shots looked relatively sharp, but more experimentation is needed to confirm the lack of need for focus adjustment for myself. I used Ilfosol as a developer. My initial impression is that this is a really nice film. I expect to use a lot of it this summer.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have shot some SFX films with my Canon EOS Kiss(Rebel something) and Konica Hexar RF, both camera have IR film advancing but with no problem.
    You may not be able to see well through a 89B filter. It's really dark. So I put a filter behind the mirror of my EOS.
    As for the metering, rated as EI160 and a red filter(R-60) with TTL metering worked fine for me. This would be my favorite combo, much better than usual film with orange.
    With a very deep red filter(R-72), I just use f5.6 and 1/30sec under bright sunshine as Ilford suggests. Exposures were right on.
    Focus adjustment should depend on lens used. Newer lens with good chromatic correction won't need it, since SFX is not that much different from other panchromatic films, I think.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kunihiko View Post
    I have shot some SFX films with my Canon EOS Kiss(Rebel something) and Konica Hexar RF, both camera have IR film advancing but with no problem.
    You may not be able to see well through a 89B filter. It's really dark. So I put a filter behind the mirror of my EOS.
    As for the metering, rated as EI160 and a red filter(R-60) with TTL metering worked fine for me. This would be my favorite combo, much better than usual film with orange.
    With a very deep red filter(R-72), I just use f5.6 and 1/30sec under bright sunshine as Ilford suggests. Exposures were right on.
    Focus adjustment should depend on lens used. Newer lens with good chromatic correction won't need it, since SFX is not that much different from other panchromatic films, I think.
    I was wondering about what the Ilford site sais about the f5.6 at 1/30- If the film is ISO 200, using sunny 16, it would equate to f5.6 at 1/30, no filter. Then add the 16X (4stop) filter factor for the 89b SFX filter, and that gives f5.6 at 1/2, does it not??????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    I've done one roll as well, using the deep red (almost black) Cokin filter that came with the promo pack. I was still able to meter through the lens, and didn't make any focus adjustments. The shots looked relatively sharp, but more experimentation is needed to confirm the lack of need for focus adjustment for myself. I used Ilfosol as a developer. My initial impression is that this is a really nice film. I expect to use a lot of it this summer.
    I don't know how the heck you composed looking through that filter- I tried looking through it on camera today and couldn't see a thing (and that's on a 50mm f1.4 lens)! I figure I'll have to compose and focus, stick filter in front of lens, meter through filter (and see if agrees with my sunny 16 calculation) , then shoot. Is this what people generally do?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I should have been more clear on how I did this. You are right, you can't see through the filter, not very well anyway. I made my focus adjustments while the filter was off, then put the filter back on, metered and fired away. I'll post an example in my gallery later today.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    I was wondering about what the Ilford site sais about the f5.6 at 1/30- If the film is ISO 200, using sunny 16, it would equate to f5.6 at 1/30, no filter. Then add the 16X (4stop) filter factor for the 89b SFX filter, and that gives f5.6 at 1/2, does it not??????
    Ugh. I just woke up and slapped myself in the forehead. Just goes to show that I shouldn't try to do photography late at night when I've had a few beers- f16 at 1/200 equates to f5.6 at 1/1600. Then add the filter factor of 4 stops- f5.6 at 1/100. This is still off from what Ilford sais though. Am I still half asleep?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin