Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,863   Online: 1190

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Forte closure

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I've yet to see anybody outift a home darkroom without having spent a couple years hanging out in community darkrooms. And these are disappearing fast. There's a reason why prices on enlargers and lenses are so cheap on eBay...

But, as you said, life goes on. I hope, Jim, that you are proven right.
    (Names Jason BTW )
    Maybe it is isolated to my experience, or a local phenom- but interest in traditional and darkroom seems to be on an upswing here. Lets hope its a trend. Also, the good 4x5 enlargers seem to be very much in demand, stifled mainly by the unwillingness to ship them, while the MF and 35 seem to be a glut on the market, probably because they are shippable, and because allot of the marginal amatures went D* ( the principle market for D* is the wannabe, promising huge results for little or no effort.) have abandoned them. I would expect the supply to begin to thin at some point. Most of the really good stuff has been let go, and snapped up.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've yet to see anybody outift a home darkroom without having spent a couple years hanging out in community darkrooms. And these are disappearing fast.
    I've been in a "community darkroom". Twice.

The second time I brought my own enlarger!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&W and color use the same coating machines and the same emulsion making equipment and chemistry. That is about it. Otherwise they are the same but different. Color and B&W TV use similar technology. They are the same but different. They are neither synergistic nor non-synergistic, they merely are produced using the same plant.

However, the synergy comes in quantity production and floor space and schedules. One competes with the other for time in production and finishing. And, if color shut down, I doubt if B&W would keep going well at either EK or Fuji. Color keeps the machines running due to quantity.

Sales are plummeting. Truly they are. You barely see the surface of this.

And, what is one aspect of bad management but failure to see that the market is falling apart very fast and you had better move fast or else.

Kodak and Fuji, for all of any complaints have made better moves at the top than Agfa certainly did or Agfa would not have come into their problems. Ilford just barely escaped. The only company doing it right from the get go is Kentmere, but then they have a rich uncle.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "The only company doing it right from the get go is Kentmere, but then they have a rich uncle.

PE"

And I thought it was good management of good products. Shows how wrong I can be.:o
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave;

Of course you are right, but it helps to have a good investment portfolio and money in the bank.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agfa didn't sell sheet film after all. And if you were using Fortepan 200/Bergger BRF 200 - would you really consider APX 100 a close replacement?
    I don't know where you got this bit of ill-informed information, but I have used Agfa sheet film in 4x5 and 8x10 for years, and stiil have some. Not only APX-100, but also 8x10 color transparency. I believe APX-400 was also available in sheet film. By proper exposure and development you can get top-notch results from the now discontinued Agfa APX-100 in sheet film sizes. At one time Agfa also made some other "specialty" sheet films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I've been in a "community darkroom". Twice.

The second time I brought my own enlarger!
    Ay you beat me with two times. I have yet to set my foot in a "Community darkroom" for the first time. The Photoclub I used to frequent didn't have a darkroom, The cource I attended did but I avoided it like the plaque back then. I'm about to set up my "second" darkroom in a hopefully not to far future (planing it now) and I'd like it to be a permanent one.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I built my own darkroom from scratch by reading Kodak pamphlets at the age of about 12 or so. Except for military darkrooms or the Kodak Camera Club darkroom where I taught, I never had to use a community darkroom.

I have loads of 4x5 Agfa transparencies here. Yep, they made sheet film. Sure did, for years.

PE

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm still using Agfa sheet film - a freezer-full of APX100 in 6.5x9cm, 9x12cm, 4x5" and 13x18cm.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    AgfaPhoto's final failure had little to do with bad management.
    If it wasn't bad management, then why are their plants being demolished? You could write a book about all that happened at Agfa, but you can point your finger at bad management during every stage of the process. Of course it is easier to see what went wrong, now that it's all over...
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin