Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,233   Online: 1198

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Forte closure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa is, as you said, a very complicated animal and a multi-national one.

It takes the utmost flexibility to save an operation when their core business is in decline. Most restructurings seem to be followed with...another restructuring. It all comes down to answering the question - what could you have done differently? I don't know the answer.

As to what did in AgfaPhoto after it was formed - well, you will need to talk to Hartmut Emans. Somehow both Hartmut and his investors - who owned AgfaPhoto outright - were not required to part with any money when the 2,400 workers were laid off.

It was a large and sad mess.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I started out developing in about 1963 or 1964 with a very basic Yankee Home Developing outfit, which had a plastic one reel adjustable tank, a graduate, a small thermometer and possibly a cheap contact printing frame. I made contact prints on Kodak Velox contact paper from my medium-format box-camera negatives. Quickly advanced to a simple Bogen enlarger, and a 35mm camera. I do remember also over the years doing the "see-saw" processing of odd-size roll films in a tray of developer in the dark. Oh, the yankee "kit" came with three 5x7 size color coded plastic print trays, and there may have been a wind-up timer also. I remember one year in there, my father giving me a whole box of 120 roll film as a gift. It was Gevart and a local discount store had it for 19 cents a roll. Ah, those were the days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I began developing in 1968 by learning from books and magazine articles.

I entered a community darkroom for the first time in my life in the summer of 2006 when I visited the new photography department of a nearby university. I've still never developed a negative nor made a print in a community darkroom.

As for the future of film, I see the students at this university very interested in film, wet prints and alt processes. They seem to regard digital as snapshot photography.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the students I see at NESOP have the attitude: "Don't worry, you can fix it in Photoshop"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On Photo Net, one person who has left APUG is claiming that Sean closed this thread. So, what are we all doing here?

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    On Photo Net, one person who has left APUG is claiming that Sean closed this thread. So, what are we all doing here?

PE
    Clearly, the computer has gone mad and tied Sean to a chair in the Star Chamber and is deciding on its own what threads to censor and what members to ban and generally how to put an end to freedom of speech, religion, and the American way and universal gun ownership.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Clearly, the computer has gone mad and tied Sean to a chair in the Star Chamber and is deciding on its own what threads to censor and what members to ban and generally how to put an end to freedom of speech, religion, and the American way and universal gun ownership.
    And don't forget those lesbians who are creating global warming!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    And don't forget those lesbians who are creating global warming!

I knew it would all come back to Dick Chaney.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The British Journal weighs in...

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=431015

I don't know if this went to press before or after the most recent article that described the proposal from Bergger and FilmoTec, but the prognosis certainly is bleak.

Yes, it looks like the investors are going to sell off the land. And if they aren't - then they aren't answering the phones to deny it. Just for yucks, I tried dialing the main contact number (and, yes, I do know how to dial international numbers...) a moment before typing this (it's about 8:39 a.m. local time there) and it is indeed disconnected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case anybody has any doubts, you can attempt to reach Forte using the contact information available at:

http://www.fortefoto.hu/Changes.html

You will note that the three names under sales are exactly the three names undersigning the email posted by uraniumnitrate.

So if anybody with a command of "Magyar" wants to make a go of it...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin