Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,666   Online: 1170

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Forte closure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JanaM View Post
    are these numbers the sales numbers of the US-market?
    I have no idea, that's all it said. I assumed it was worldwide sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Both gold and silver are used as hedges against drops in currency. If uncertainty over the purchasing power of currencies increases - they will appreciate in value. Today, for example, when the US FOMC indicated they were somewhat less concerned about inflation, the dollar fell. And silver and gold all increased in value.

Now I know that you are right as I have checked this one out too. The SSAB produces special steel and one of their main product is and it’s unique in the world is HARDOX. I called the friend of mine and he stated that too the fall is only for what we call for “junk” steel.

About those “other” metals, they always were bounded to our money in all times.
    Just think what one platinum print going to worth in the future when the platinum reserves are gone! Every single print is an investment for the future!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To get this back on topic, I got an email from Begger that they are still in discussion about acquiring the Forte plant. So keep your fingers and toes crossed, unless you are a real estate developer. But I dont want to get anyone's hopes up but mine.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    To get this back on topic, I got an email from Begger that they are still in discussion about acquiring the Forte plant. So keep your fingers and toes crossed, unless you are a real estate developer. But I dont want to get anyone's hopes up but mine.

Wayne
    Thanks, Wayne.

Robert Vonk of Fothuis had stated both here and photo.net that a group comprising Moresch, Bergger, Fotohuis (Robert's outfit) and FOMA has been formed to try to transfer production of the papers to the FOMA's operation. That, in fact, the plan was not to rescue the Hungarian factory itself.

Did Bergger mention that they have any contingency plans if Forte's operations cannot be rescued?

This is getting very confusing. I've heard of at least two plans involving Bergger...one is the Vonk plan cited above (who suggested on photo.net we might hear something in the next week or two) and one was in the Hungarian press that cited both FilmoTec and Bergger were joining forces to purchase the Forte plant itself.

Is it bad kharma to wish for a real estate crash in Hungary (Forte) and the UK (Ilford)?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess I didnt see the other thread because I only activated this forum again a couple days ago. I would rather see production continue on site, since that seems like its the only way to make identical products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The key is colleges and camera clubs maintaining their facilities. A digression I know from the main thread but being in a darkroom is powerful magic.
    Yes, indeed it is. I have never enrolled in any sort of formal darkroom or photography class. Rather I had a great uncle who was very enthusiastic about photography. He showed me the ropes in his darkroom which wasn't much more than a converted closet. I got the bug and it bit hard. Forty some odd years later, I'm still at it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree. It's imperative that the message "Film Still Matters!" gets broadcast to these groups.

Without it, "new blood" will not get involved, demand for the products will decline further, and we are all in a lot of trouble.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Were Forte making Classic Pan BTW?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Were Forte making Classic Pan BTW?
    At their manufacturing plant in the city of Vac which is just a couple miles north of Budapest in Hungary, but the factory is closed right now and there is no production. It might be possible that some buy the plant but no news available any longer as probobly all effort to save Forte is failed. You need two parts to do business and that situation didn't show up yet. Let's just hope.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A couple of points-
    I started my own darkroom in 2002 when I recieved some nearly free equipment. I just read the instructions and went to town. Only later did I take classes and still did not use a community darkroom except when forced to for the class.
    During that experience, I formed a personal view as to my paper selection after seeing and using numerous brands and types. I chose Forte's semi- matt, neutral tone fiber material as my standard and have used it since. I chose that particular paper for its true black and white tone (I use Dektol and KRST to get it) and am not looking forward to finding an alternate that suits my vision or having to sort through hours of trial and error to "learn" to use it effectively.
    Since this material will probably be unavailable soon, does anyone have suggestions for a similar paper I might try? The only paper on the market that sounds close is Kentmere's neutral semi matte. I have not seen this material in person yet, let alone used it to make images.
    Am I simply out of luck? Are there other papers I might consider?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin