Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,518   Online: 1057

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: Forte closure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Parker View Post
    A couple of points-
    I started my own darkroom in 2002 when I recieved some nearly free equipment. I just read the instructions and went to town. Only later did I take classes and still did not use a community darkroom except when forced to for the class.
    During that experience, I formed a personal view as to my paper selection after seeing and using numerous brands and types. I chose Forte's semi- matt, neutral tone fiber material as my standard and have used it since. I chose that particular paper for its true black and white tone (I use Dektol and KRST to get it) and am not looking forward to finding an alternate that suits my vision or having to sort through hours of trial and error to "learn" to use it effectively.
    Since this material will probably be unavailable soon, does anyone have suggestions for a similar paper I might try? The only paper on the market that sounds close is Kentmere's neutral semi matte. I have not seen this material in person yet, let alone used it to make images.
    Am I simply out of luck? Are there other papers I might consider?
    Kentmere will not tone anything like Forte. I hear a lot of talk about this paper and that paper.... but you aren't going to find an exact match.... The toning qualities of the Forte papers were one of their strongest assets. In particular their color and depth when matched with Nelsons gold toner. The kentmere papers I've tried are probably the least receptive to Nelsons.
    Another strength was their price. Many people are suggesting Bergger papers. Bergger makes a fine product... so does Ilford for that matter. But neither look like Forte, and both are considerably pricier. (Warm tone fiber papers)
    I'm hoping Photo Engineer will come up with a Forte-like formula one of these days.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try ADOX and Foma?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by don sigl View Post
    Kentmere will not tone anything like Forte. I hear a lot of talk about this paper and that paper.... but you aren't going to find an exact match.... The toning qualities of the Forte papers were one of their strongest assets. In particular their color and depth when matched with Nelsons gold toner. The kentmere papers I've tried are probably the least receptive to Nelsons.
    Another strength was their price. Many people are suggesting Bergger papers. Bergger makes a fine product... so does Ilford for that matter. But neither look like Forte, and both are considerably pricier. (Warm tone fiber papers)
    I'm hoping Photo Engineer will come up with a Forte-like formula one of these days.
    I agree with you regarding the toning properties of Forte papers. It's likely that the present Adox, Foma, and (maybe) Slavich formulations are your best bet in terms of finding a paper that is responsive to toning. I haven't tried any of these three yet.

Incidentally, most (perhaps all...though Ole will disagree) Bergger papers were manufactured by Forte.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Incidentally, most (perhaps all...though Ole will disagree) Bergger papers were manufactured by Forte.
    I don't disagree at all with that, only with statements that ALL Bergger papers are rebranded Forte, when at least some of them are quite clearly not. I don't dispute that Bergger papers, possible all of them, were made by Forte.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got a pic in the postcard exchange printed on Adox Fineprint Warmtone- it's a real deadringer for love........I mean Forte LOL. And I have a box too-wo!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I don't disagree at all with that, only with statements that ALL Bergger papers are rebranded Forte, when at least some of them are quite clearly not. I don't dispute that Bergger papers, possible all of them, were made by Forte.
    An interesting mystery. Don't forget that Forte's catalog used to be far more extensive than it was the past couple years. It's possible that Bergger asked that certain products be produced exclusively under their label.

I'm emailing a friend with an old Forte catalog from the mid 90s to ask her to scan it and send it to me. If she does, I'll cross-ref the existing Bergger papers against what Forte used to offer circa 1994.

I believe that Forte started producing film & paper for Bergger in late-1995.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    An interesting mystery. Don't forget that Forte's catalog used to be far more extensive than it was the past couple years. It's possible that Bergger asked that certain products be produced exclusively under their label.

I'm emailing a friend with an old Forte catalog from the mid 90s to ask her to scan it and send it to me. If she does, I'll cross-ref the existing Bergger papers against what Forte used to offer circa 1994.

I believe that Forte started producing film & paper for Bergger in late-1995.

Yes you are completely right about those facts. Its paper that forte doesn’t produce any longer for the market and those had been produced again for Bergger. I have seen the catalogue which actually shows a huge amount of different papers many of it actually never even hit the market. The different papers Forte had been produced is far more behind of anyone’s imagination and makes other producers looks like an amateurs in manufacturing papers It’s like if they begin to produce all of it than they can supply ten more Companies like Bergger and they did. So more surprises is about to come for you!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin